Hotels in Barcelona

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Cindy

Hotels in Barcelona

My husband and I will be visiting Barcelona for a few days in late June prior to picking up a cruise there. I am debating between staying at the Artes or the Hotel Ritz. Any preferences one way or the other?

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Margot

I'm not sure if the Hotel Ritz and the Ritz Carlton are the same hotel you're referring to, but in August, 1999 my husband and I stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Barcelona for our honeymoon. It was fabulous, excellent service, central location and even had a huge roman tub in the bathroom...devine! The hotel rates in Barcelona aren't as bad as other cities in Europe so you may want to give it a try. By the way, make sure you go to an amazing local tapas restaurant called "Cal Pep" in Barcelona. The food was authentic tapas, very fresh seafood like their monkfish and huge shrimp (a.k.a. gambas)...we've never eaten so well at a reasonable price. Cal Pep even sent us a Christmas card that year thanking us for coming to their restaurant...very lively owner and head chef. I hope this helps. Enjoy!

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Surlok

The Hotel Arts is located in the Barrio Olimpico, which is a bit removed from the touristic area, namely Barrio Gotico and Eixample. It's said to be a wonderful hotel, but, having been to Barcelona a few times, and although not having stayed at either, I would choose the Ritz over the Arts, based solely on its location.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Sue

I stayed at the Ritz Carlton (Hotel Arts) in Barcelona last summer with my family after a cruise and it was beautiful! They had great service and nice roomy hotel rooms. I would highly recommend it.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 12:12 PM
monica

We visited Barcelona in February of this year. I had a really tough time deciding where to stay. I even asked Fodorites for their advice. In the end we picked the Hotel Arts, even though many people told us it was out of the main centre. This was a fabulous hotel, one of the nicest that I have stayed in in Europe. Contrary to others, I think the location is very nice. The Olympic area is far form the Ramblas, but it is a beautiful open area. The hotel is large and spacious, unlike other more central hotels. I'm sure in the Summer it would be even nicer, because the proximity to the ocean and the fact it has a rooftop pool, gives it a more "resort type" feel. (The area around the Ramblas is much more touristy and I did not like it at all !!!). The staff at the Arts were very nice, and the Concierge gaves us excellent recommendations on restaurants, bars and clubs. The Tapas in the hotel was also very good. I only wished we could have stayed longer !!!