Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Assmannshausen (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-assmannshausen-114733/)

anita Mar 26th, 2001 05:52 AM

Hotels in Assmannshausen

Any suggestions for a hotel for 2 nights? Also what are some day trips? After Assmannshausen my husband will have another 2 days in Germany any ideas for another town and another 2 days hotel?

wes fowler Mar 26th, 2001 06:47 AM

Anita, <BR>Check out the hotel Cafe-Post in Assmannshausen. See: <BR>www.rhein-hotel-ruedesheim.de <BR> <BR>If you're traveling by auto, you can easily spend two days touring the banks of the Rhine north to Koblenz, stopping off to explore the castles on the way. <BR> <BR>You might spend one day touring the Rhine, another the Mosel Valley. <BR> <BR>You could give some thought to driving south to Strasbourg or Freiburg from which you can tour portions of the Black Forest. <BR> <BR>If you're traveling by auto and interested in some itineraries, drop me an Email.

Lee Mar 26th, 2001 07:18 AM

Anita, As usual, Wes is right on the money. <BR> <BR>We have stayed at the Hotel Cafe' Post and can tell you with confidence that it is a good value and the Hoteger's are great hosts. The location is very good for getting around the Rhine gorge. <BR> <BR>Monica also stayed there and she reported pretty much said the same thing about the hotel. <BR> <BR>Since you are in the area, maybe two days on the Mosel, say in Cochem, it may be a good choice for you. I can't help with a hotel there as I have only day-tripped over there to see Burg Eltz. You could take in a day at Trier, which is just west on the Mosel. <BR> <BR>Have fun.

Ann Mar 26th, 2001 12:09 PM

Anita, I'm with Lee! I'm a big fan of the Mosel, and it would be a nice contrast with the Rhine region for you. However, are you departing Germany from Frankfurt? If you, you might want to spend the last two nights in Assmanshausen, since it's so near the airport. At any rate, if you're interested in history, Trier is a pretty good-size city on the Mosel. Founded in 16BC, it's considered Germany's oldest city and was the center of Christianity north of the Alps from the 4th century. If you would prefer small wine village scenery, I'd recommend somewhere near, but not in, Cochem, which would also give you a chance to tour Burg Eltz, a spectacular family castle never ruined. Let me know if you want specifics on either area.

kam Mar 26th, 2001 01:41 PM

We loved the Hotel Krone in Assmannshausen--had a window view of the river. Enjoyed a river cruse even though it's a bit touristy. Rudesheim was a nice little town. I don't know how far you want to go for your second town, but Rothenburg is a good place to spend a couple days and stay at the Hotel Eisenhut. If going there, I would do Rothenburg first then come back to Assmannshausen to be close to Frankfurt airport.

Bob Mar 26th, 2001 04:19 PM

I concur on the Krone Hotel. It is on the banks of the Rhine and the boat landing for cruising the Rhine is across the road accessed by a tunnel under the road. We too had a room overlooking the river. <BR> <BR>The Mosel is another area close by if you have limited time. Good town is Cochem. Hotel there with ambiance is the Alte Thorndecke, built into the side of the old town walls. <BR> <BR>The advice about staying your last night in Assmannhausen is also good. We have done that twice and it made for a nice drive in the morning to the Frankfurt airport, especially easy if you book a Sunday departure.