Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Ardennes Region of Belgium????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 05:14 PM
Maggie

Does anyone have any nice country inn type or otherwise interesting hotel recommendations in the Ardennes?? Thinking of spending 2-3 nights in Durbury area but open to other ideas. Thanks.

Old Mar 15th, 2000, 05:46 PM
Al

Have you checked the Belgium hotels web site? Have you checked the Michelin Red Guide to Belgium? Where is Durbury? We are planning a trip to the Ardennes this fall and I can't recall seeing that town on the map.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 02:49 AM
Maggie

Hi Al, <BR>I've checked the main Belgium Tourist bureau wesite (visitbelgium.com) and that does contain some hotels. I was looking for some first hand recommendations as I think you frequently have to "read between the lines" both on web sites and tour books. Durbury has been mentioned by several posters here and is also mentioned in both Fodors and Fommers books. It is south of Liege and is supposed to be a small vilage and a good base for touring the area. We'll be in the area in the spring so I'll be happy to report back.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 03:57 AM
Myriam

Maggie and Al, <BR>The correct spelling is Durbuy. That will be the reason that Al didn't find it. Durbuy is a very touristy little town in the Ourthe Valley in the province of Luxembourg (the smallest town in Belgium - "the smallest town in the world" so the Durbuyans say). <BR>It has a well-known hotel/restaurant: Le Sanglier des Ardennes. <BR>

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 07:36 AM
Al

As usual, Myriam is correct. I found it on my trusty Michelin map. It's about 20 miles south of Liege. I suppose the name is pronounced "dooor-BWEE"?

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 08:06 AM
Myriam

Durbuy is pronounced Dürbwee, with a short "U" like in "bus" (in fact something in between "bus" and "boss") or like in the French word "sucre". <BR>This is very hard to explain in writing!

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:11 PM
Maggie

Myriam, <BR>By "touristy" do you mean a little too crowded, a little too tacky or just a popular place?????? Are there other towns you would recommend? Thanks.

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 01:31 PM
Marija

We were in Durbuy in August and it was jam packed with tourists and tourist buses. Getting a car in was quite a hassle. In the evening many tourists clear out and the town becomes much more pleasant. We stayed at Le Sanglier des Ardennes in a small apartment which was away from the frantic square so it was not unbearable. It was certainly different from the idylic little town we imagined...

Old Mar 16th, 2000, 10:16 PM
Myriam

Maggie, <BR>I could not explain the situation better than Marija did. The idylic little town doesn't exist anymore and it seems that every tourist wants to be in Durbuy. Of course this depends on the season. July and August are top season in Europe. <BR>I myself, but this is very personal, prefer the region of the Hautes Fagnes (south-east of Liege). There are the little towns of Spa, Malmédy, Eupen, Sankt-Vith but also the beautiful nature with pine woods etc. (Eupen and Sankt-Vith are in the German speaking part of Belgium). <BR>

Old Mar 17th, 2000, 08:02 AM
Maggie

Thank you all so much. From your description it sounds like Durbuy may have become a bit like San Gimignano. We may still take a chance since we'll be there late April/early May but we will certainly be forewarned!!

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 09:05 AM
Rex

I actually don't know anything about Durbuy, but I just stumbled on this fairly cool-looking site about the Labyrinthus parks - - one of which is apparently located at Durbuy. Sounds worth going to see, even if it is packed with tourists. (You know some places are created for the express purpose of people going to see them - - wouldn't everybody there be a tourist, by definition? Is that so bad?) <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Mar 19th, 2000, 09:08 AM
Rex

Whoops - - left off the address - - www.labyrinthus.com/lg.htm

Old Mar 20th, 2000, 04:04 AM
Nancy

My husband and I will also be in the Ardennes area the first week of May and had considered staying in Durbuy. Now I wonder about the advisability of that choice. How about La Roche-en-Ardenne? Anyone have suggestions about staying there or any other place? I also wonder if it will be necessary to make reservations in advance? I've found the website &lt;www.horest.com&gt;, which has many listings of charming hotel/restaur