Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels in Andermatt, Gstaad, and Saas Fee? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-in-andermatt-gstaad-and-saas-fee-263444/)

Patrick Oct 5th, 2002 06:19 AM

Hotels in Andermatt, Gstaad, and Saas Fee?

Planning about three weeks in Switzerland next summer and am taking Bob Brown's advice about Saas Fee. Not interested in an apartment, but looking for a nice hotel right in the "center" for three nights. Any ideas? <BR>Once visited Gstaad for a day trip, and will return for several days. Has anyone stayed at the Post Hotel Rossli? Or another hotel right in the center?<BR>Also looking for a recommendation in Andermatt. There doesn't seem to be much there, and the few hotels I've found I can't figure out how central they are. If you can't tell from my other requests, I really like to stay in the center of things. Won't be having a car and like to wander around the town streets at night -- not be out in the country.

xxx Oct 5th, 2002 08:17 AM

Patrick - don't quite know how to interpret your "nice hotel" requirement - hotels here can be "nice" at just 2 stars, or you may only consider 3-4 star as nice. Anyway, can't really help too much on Saas Fee as there is a lot to choose from there (and someone who's been to this resort often could help...). Once stayed at the Hotel Allalin, was very nice, great service and hospitable hosts. It's on the edge of the village, but nothing is really that far away to be concerned about not being in the center. <BR><BR>I was also planning to go to Andermatt this summer, just didn't make it, but was going to stay at the Hotel Drei Koenige & Post, it looks like the surest bet. It's indded in the center of the village, and believe it's the only hotel there that has a wellness "studio" (whirlpool, sauna, etc.) - this is something I look for in hotels in the summer, since I hike and appreciate a real relaxing late afternoon/evening afterwards. (If this kind of amenity is important to you as well, both Gstaad and Saas Fee have an indoor swimming pool facility open to the public, so you don't necessarily need this in your hotel). Finally, in Gstaad, have stayed at the Bernerhof, it's as central as you can get, but is in the 4-5 star range. Posthotel Roessli is probably fine. <BR><BR>

xxx Oct 5th, 2002 08:23 AM

For what it's worth, the typo "indded" in the Andermatt section of my reply should read "indeed"...<BR><BR>

Patrick Oct 5th, 2002 08:47 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. From the web I thought too that Drei Koenige looks the best in Andermatt. <BR>Is the Bernerhof in Gstaad right next to the train station? I remember coming out from the station to the main street and seeing quite a large, but nice looking place on my left hand side. Is that it? The Post Rossli looks more "quaint", but I'd probably prefer nicer and larger rooms and baths if that would be the case at the Rossli. Just curious if anyone had actually stayed or been inside the rooms at Rossli?

Ingo Oct 5th, 2002 11:55 AM

Patrick,<BR><BR>cannot help with Andermatt, sorry. In the Gstaad region I only stayed at Ermitage Golf Hotel in Sch&ouml;nried – fantastic, but unfortunately not in the centre. You are correct, the Bernerhof is that “large, but nice looking place on my left hand side” when coming out from the railway station. I had an excellent lunch on their terrace, but don’t know about their rooms. However, I would probably prefer R&ouml;ssli, because it is definitely smaller, cosier and cheaper. Its setting is perfect, right on a small square in the pedestrian zone.<BR><BR>I must admit Saas Fee did not really touch my heart. It is a wild, rough scenery with huge mountains etc., but I missed the green and lovely touch of my favourite place Engadin. Anyway, I stayed at the four star Hotel Europa. It is managed by the Bumann family (as the hotels Schweizerhof and Saaserhof are). I agree with xxx, that nothing is far away from the centre. Europa is right beside the gondola station Hannig, 200 m from the Postbus stop, 500 meters from the cable car station Alpin Express. The room was large and comfortable with gorgeous views. Food was very good, too. Once we had a barbecue at the Schweizerhof for dinner – excellent. Saaserhof is probably more rustic, Schweizerhof more upscale.<BR><BR>Friends of mine stayed at 4star Hotel Monopol right in the centre of Saas Fee and enjoyed it very much. Maybe YOUR best choice, if you prefer to stay “in the centre of everything”.<BR><BR>Have a great time!<BR><BR>Ingo<BR>