Hotels in Amsterdam

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Amsterdam

HI guys me and a friend are traveling from Florida to Tanzania for a kilimanjaro climb and a safari tour and then on the way home we will be stopping in Amsterdam for 3days/2 nights. Can anyone recommend a hotel that is not too expensive but that may have a safe in the room or that the manager has some way to protect our valuables while we do a little sightseeing?

I will be carrying quite a bit of photo equipment and gear and I dont want to worry about all of it while we are out and about.

Also we have not made any reservations obviously and our travels will put us in Amsterdam around the 26th of this month. Are hotels busy this time of year or is it relatively easy to walk into a place and get a decent room at a decent rate?

Thanks very much.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM

Our son is staying at :

Hostel Info
St. Christopher's at The Winston
Warmoesstraat 129
Amsterdam

p. +31 (0)2 06231380
f. +31 (0)2 06392308
e. [email protected]

This is his second trip there and liked this hotel/hostel enough that he and his friend are staying there again. He said its close to everything but just far enough away to get a good rest.

Their rate for a private 2 bd/ bath for 2 nights is $228

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info beachgirl. I will keep the info handy and may contact them in the next day or two.

Any other suggestions or opinions are appreciated.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 04:40 AM

If you are traveling in the off season (and I'm not saying that January IS off season.. I don't know)... but anyway, you can go to the main train station in the city. They have a tourist desk where you can get a room at a good price, on the spot, with no reservations made ahead of time. DH and I have done that twice, but it was in late Nov/early Dec time period. This last time, we stayed at the Barbizon Palace. One other time we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. Both times, we got our accomodations at the train station. Crowne is probably quite a bit cheaper than Barbizon. Both are good hotels. And I'm sure both had safes.

In-room safes are not all that large, in my experience. Are you going to stow a lot of large camera equipment? The front desk at either hotel could probably store a bag for you (for a fee/tip).

Carol
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Check the hotels offered by the Eden group: http://www.edenhotelgroup.com

The Eden Amsterdam and Eden Lancaster often have quite cheap prepaid rates.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 07:03 AM

The other option I would recommend is getting a 4* hotel by bidding on Priceline - see betterbidding.com .
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Carol and Will for the tips will check them out.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:48 AM

We stayed @ Hotel Fita in the museum district. Small B&B but perfectly located for us. Don't remember the price, but b'fast is included.
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Kmak - just ran across your other post --- Hotel Fita is one block from the Van Gogh museum and just down the street from the Rikjmuseum (sp?). Check it out -- www.fita.nl
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM

I will just add that the Warmoesstraat is slap bang in the RLD, so you should consider that for the St Christopher's at the WInston hostel.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, if I can get a decent rate ot the Golden Tulip I may try there...a little more expensive but it seems to get really good reviews and after Tanzania I know we will want to be comfortable. I may be able to get a good rate on priceline. If I have time before I leave I will let you know what we decide, if not I will report back when we get home.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We stayed at the Eden Rembrandt. It was very quiet and had a good location. Breakfasts were OK, rooms were a bit drab but the staff was friendly and we felt we had a good deal at the Rembrandt. There was a great Irish pub a few doors away with live music on weekends. We even danced there one night. (It was raining buckets when we were there and had to find things to do inside.)