Hotels in Alsace--Riquewihr

May 31st, 2002, 05:21 AM
Joan

Hotels in Alsace--Riquewihr

Can anyone recommend a nice hotel in Riquewihr or nearby.

May 31st, 2002, 04:55 PM
Diane

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott. You can see their website at
http://www.amifritz.com/

May 31st, 2002, 06:01 PM
John

We stayed at the Hotel de la Couronne and thougt it was fine. Has its own car park, a real advantage. Our room in the annex was comfortable except one of the ancient timbers holding up the building spanned the bathtub, so that if you stood to shower you bonked your head on it again and again, until you were stupid. Oh, wait...

http://www.hoteldelacouronne.com/

Jun 12th, 2002, 05:34 AM
Mike

Diane, We have booked 3 days at L'Ami Fritz in Ottrott in late June. We are planning day trips to Heidelberg, Strasbourg, and Gengenbach. Any recommendations on what else we should see in the area, restaurants, sights close by? Initially, we wanted to stay at the Hotel-restaurant Beau Site in Ottrott, but they never answered our reservation request.

Jun 12th, 2002, 03:25 PM
CaptB

Mike, we just returned from a week in Alsace. I really believe you are trying to do too much in three days. We spent six days centered in Colmar and never went any furhter north that Mt. Saint Odile - there is just too much to see. We too wanted to see Strasbourg but never made it. The Wine road with all it's quaint villages, Grand Ballons park(sp), Vosges all beckon you to explore and that does not even include Colmar.
Near your hotel I can recommend a beautiful Church and Abbey in Mt. St. Odile - the views from their overlook are spectacular - great place for a picnic. Hope your weather will be better than ours - they are getting a surprising amount of rain - mudslides, flooding etc.

Jun 12th, 2002, 04:19 PM
Mike

Capt B, Thanks for your input. You are right. I've knocked Heidelberg off the list. I keep hearing about the "wine road." Help! I have reservations in Ottrott for 3 days, then heading for Reims for 2 days (wife must see Versailles). Any input would be appreciated.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Elsa

We were in Colmar in May and could only spend a couple of nights there. Colmar was a very good place to base ourselves and had easy access to the highways and wine route. We stayed at Hotel des Tetes and enjoyed it very much - also there restaurant (I think it is a 1* Michelin rest.) I would suggest you travel from south to north on the wine route and get an early start if you are going in the tourist season. I doubt you will want to stop in EVERY town on the route. Once you get up to Strasbourg, it will take about 1hr. on the autoroute to get back to Colmar. If you spend ALL day doing the wine route (which I can't imagine, but I guess that's possible if you visit a number of the wineries), you could then go the day b/4 or after to Strassbourg by train or car. If you drive, I'd go early b/c of the parking situation.

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Elsa

Oops - make that Maison des Tetes.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:30 PM
Diane

Mike -- you can read my trip report and see some photos of the Alsace area at
www.travelswithdiane.homestead.com/trip2001pg5.html
You can easily spend all your time in this small area visiting the charming villages on the wine road. Ottrott is along the wine route bordering Obernai, which is a larger town.