Hotels in 16arr? Anyone??!

Dec 12th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Jill

Hotels in 16arr? Anyone??!

We are looking for a hotel in the 16th arr. We're both european, so we know rooms tend to run small, but we'd still like something with a comfortable size and bathroom, as well as breakfast if possible. Under $120/night. Any help appreciated. We're going next week!
Jill

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:05 AM
elaine

Hi Jill
I copied the following information into my Paris file, including a posting from a week or so ago. I have not stayed there.
"The Hotel Residence du Bois is one of my favorite places. That part of the Ave. Victor Hugo is great and despite the 16th's reputation for being far from things, it's
actually quite easy to get to anywhere in Paris from there and you're just a short walk from the Arc de Triomphe. However it IS away from hordes of tourists, junk shops, etc. It's a pretty, upscale residential neighborhood…pop into the Scossa restaurant/cafe on the Place Victor Hugo? Great coffee and fresh squeezed OJ. I love sitting on their terrace on a sunny morning, having my coffee, watching the fountains and the Parisians go by."
Another comment: " This hotel has it's own website with pictures. and the pics are entirely accurate and in fact I actually found the rooms to be bigger. they are rated 3 star. why? because they do not have air conditioning or an elevator. they do provide fans in the rooms and they have 3 floors of rooms. The rooms. huge....huge in comparison to most 3 star rooms in paris and very tasteful, charming and nice. The bathrooms for a superior twin with bath are huge. I recommend paying the 100 franc difference for the superior bath vs standard shower. the bath has both a bathtub and a shower spray. The rooms all had cable tv and phone. they have internet access for purchase at the hotel. A superior twin was 635 francs per room. not per person. this is about $90 a room or $45 per person. The hotel is located about 3 blocks south of the Arc and the area is very safe even late at night "
Elaine's note: Also recommended in "Cheap Sleeps in Paris" book which says "…enjoy being a few minutes' walk from the Champs-Elysees. The entrance to the hotel is in a passageway reached on foot by steep steps from the street, or by car on an upper level through one-way streets from behind… Rates are reasonable for this expensive area…" 11 rue du Dome, corner of 29 Ave Victor Hugo, 16th. Tel 01 45 00 31 96, fax 01 45 00 90 05, email [email protected] takes credit cards. No elevator, no a/c .

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:46 AM
BTilke

Hi Jill,
I was the one who posted the first comment Elain quoted. I do recommend it and the location is one of the best in the 16th.
BTilke (Brussels)

Dec 12th, 2001, 07:52 AM
DougD

We stayed in this area several years ago, at the hotel Deaux Acacia (I'm not sure of the spelling!) It was about $100 a night, the double rooms were medium sized and clean. The location was ideal, on a quiet side street, but a very short walk to the merto.

Dec 12th, 2001, 08:00 AM
evo2

Just spent the weekend here:

http://www.123france.com/europe/france/paris/hotels/hofl-eus.htm

It's a 3* called Floride-Etoile and has a neighbouring partner 4* hotel. 2 mins walk from nearest metro (Boissoniere), 5 mins to Arc de Triomphe and 10 mins to Trocadero.

Very quiet area. Hotel was comfortable with private bathroom and breakfast. Our prices (from UK) were 130UKP per person for 3 nights and Eurostar from London.

Dec 12th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Lori

We stayed at the Hotel Residence Trocadero (a Best Western affiliate hotel) at Blvd. Raymond Poincare, two yrs ago. It's in the 16th, right at Trocadero. The Metro stop is right at your doorstep. Rooms were small, but we had a view of the Trocadero & Eiffel Tower from ours. Bathroom was good sized and modern. Breakfast was a buffet at the time and quite acceptable. We prefer the 7th Arr but I'd recommend this hotel for convenience to the Metro if nothing else!! The staff were all very pleasant as well.

Dec 12th, 2001, 09:18 AM
Bob Brown

The Hotel Kleber on rue de Belloy is a nice place, but it may be above your price range unless you can get a special deal. There is one advertised, but it may not be when you are in Paris.
Standard rooms there run about $130 a night (145 euros) without a special price.
The Murat is a hotel I considered, but the price is low enough that I am suspicious. If you can find out more about it, and it turns out to be acceptable, the price is certainly attractive. I asked about it earlier, but received no comments.
The photographs make it look nice, but pictures never make a place look bad unless it is totally awful.
I would like to hear about the Murat, because if it is ok, you cannot be the price for a 3 star establishment in the 16th.

Dec 12th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Jill

This is great information. Thanks all! I know the 16th arr. is not the best place to stay, but we're both runners and would like to be near the Bois de Boulogne...

Dec 12th, 2001, 10:25 AM
BTilke

I don't know, Jill, the 16th is my favorite arrond. For me it *is* the best place to stay. I don't want to be in the middle of traffic jams, group tours, crowded streets, etc., but do like being not far from the sites. And to me, there's a great deal of pleasure in staying in a mostly residential neighborhood. The pace is calmer, the shops, restaurants and cafes have a whole different vibe and I like it.

Dec 12th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Jill

Thanks Bill, I hear you! As New Yorkers, we prefer to get OUT of the way of noise, crowds, and mayhem whenever we can. I think the 16th will be perfect for us!