Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels & Restaurants in Brugges, Belgium (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-and-restaurants-in-brugges-belgium-15762/)

Sunny Jul 20th, 1997 10:19 AM

Hotels & Restaurants in Brugges, Belgium

We will possibly be spending 1-2 days in Brugges, Belgium in route from London to Paris in late Sept.
Any recommendations for a great hotel and restaurants, as well as sightseeing options would be appreciated.

louise Jul 20th, 1997 11:16 AM

we stayed at a wonderful
holel in brugge called the
die swaen " the swan" . I can best discribe it as follows;
great location,charming helpful staff , and a fantastic
restaurant. moderate to
expensive. this hotel and the city of brugge are one of our top favorites in europe.
the address is as follows:
zuidzandatraat 43
8000 brugge
tel 050/34.27.98
fax 050/33.66.74
for a town tour, go to the tourist office ,right in the center of town for that information. have a great trip. louise c

Tricia Jul 20th, 1997 12:16 PM

Robert, Rick Steve's Book, EUROPE 97, has a chapter on Belgium and specifically Brugge. He mentions a walking orientation tour and/or a bicycling tour to get you away from the crowds and out into the countryside. You can go on your own or go with a tour guide. Backrod Bike Company leads daily bike tours, also see Bruge by Boat with the captain narrating or a City Minibus Tours on a 13 seat three skylight minibus. After your tour don't miss Pickles Frituur, for the best sit-down fries in town. He mentions many restaurants and "dollhouse B&B's". For a composite of the information in his book, visit his website at www.ricksteves.com. See ya!

Tricia Jul 20th, 1997 12:40 PM

Hi, was reading over "Europe's Best Perserved Little Towns" I printed out of Rick Steve's website and of course Bruges' is mentioned along with the Hansa Hotel, which, is within sniffing distance of the chocolatier and the main square. Its a completely modernized old building with 20 elegant pastel rooms and all the comforts- $120 doubes, N. Desparsstraat 11,8000 Bruges, tel 050/338444, fax 334205.

d. Spiegel Jul 21st, 1997 12:09 PM

Stayed last year at the Jacobs Hotel. Very reasonably priced, in a quiet residential section, yet within an easy walk of activities. Recommend you contact the Belgian Tourist Office in New York. They can provide you with a great booklet listing dozens of hotels/B&Bs along with photos.

Sunny Jul 22nd, 1997 10:05 AM

thanks for the info, louise; it is greatly appreciated.
sunny

Sunny Jul 23rd, 1997 02:41 PM

Thanks, Tricia, for the ricksteves website. I got lots of good info.
Sunny

Sunny Aug 1st, 1997 09:53 AM

I thank everyone for their resposes; we are staying at your recommendation, Louise. I'll report back afterwards. You know "die swaen" hotel faxed my travel agent with the rates, and also said that 1 dinner at the hotel was required during our stay. We thought that was rather odd, but since you said the restaurant was great, we decided it didn't matter. Maybe the "must dine" request was just a suggestion, rather than a command. Oh well, thanks again y'all. Sunny