hotels allowing last day cancellation

Jan 30th, 2006, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

hotels allowing last day cancellation

i noticed at the ibis site that they allow credit card reservations cancelled up to 7pm of the arrival day without charging anything.

i dont think i would need this facility but it made me wonder what does ibis do with hotel rooms which have been canceled at 7pm?

i guess statisticaly this doesnt happen often or they wouldnt offer this flexibility.

C
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:47 AM

Ask Ibis?

I'd imagine that people staying at such hotels are travellers from airports etc. and will arrive late or perhaps they have a lot of evening passing trade. But who knows?

I wonder if the answer shall appear.
Jan 30th, 2006, 06:49 AM
rex

I think that at a property like an Ibis, people show up all evening, asking for rooms with no reservations. I suspect that they know well their re-sell rate on late cancellations, and they capitalize on the public knowing that it's worthwhile to try calling there (or just showing up) when something unexpected leads to the need for a room without prior planning. I think the airlines use them also (as part of a pool most likely) - - to accommodate both way-laid passengers and crew on short notice.

That's the last time I stayed at an Ibis. Air France put us up there when we had to fly the next day (our connecting flight from Bergamo on ? Gandalf - - an Air France subsidiary? arrived late, and they took responsibility for housing us until the next day).

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 30th, 2006, 09:29 AM

The Accor chain allows same-day reservations, at least at the Novotels and Mercures. I'm not sure about the Sofitels, as we haven't stayed at one in a long time.
Jan 31st, 2006, 01:13 PM

Under most circumstances, Accor hotels (including Sofitels) let you cancel up to 6 pm or so date of arrival with no penalty.
*BUT* they also run "hot deal" Internet specials that allow no changes and no cancellations. We sometimes book those if we're absolutely sure we're going to use the reservation; otherwise we prefer to spend a little more (sometimes only 10 euros more) for the cancellation flexibility. (example: last fall, we had booked a room at the Novotel Augsburg. But traffic was so horrendous on the drive between Baden-Baden and Augsburg and we realized about an hour into the trip that we'd left a bag behind at the BB hotel, we just turned around and went back to BB. No problems canceling the Novotel room.)
Jan 31st, 2006, 04:22 PM

I have stayed at a couple of Best Western hotels in France, and they have that same cancellation policy. And the hotels I stayed at were quite nice. Not at all "cookie cutter" type hotels like Ibis.