Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotels Agrigento Sicily (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotels-agrigento-sicily-375370/)

cynthia22 Nov 10th, 2003 08:32 PM

Hotels Agrigento Sicily

Looking for recommendations for hotel in Agrigento in January. Have heard mixed reviews of the Villa Athena, don't think its available and don't really want to pay in that price range in any case. Looking more at the *** category. Any info on Jolly del Valle? Recommendations appreciated!

GAC Nov 12th, 2003 07:12 AM

Many travelers to Agrigento who don't have the benefit of a rental car are concerned about the proximity of their hotel to the Temples. If you have a car rental, you might find the hotels in the nearby Villaggio Mose (Hotel dei Templi, etc.) quite appealing. One hotel (whose exact name I forget) was formerly the Jolly Hotel della Valle, but is no longer part of the Jolly chain. I stayed there in 1975 when it had just opened, and found it to be a good, American-style modern hotel. I believe it has since been updated. Without a car, these hotels are not convenient to either the city or the archeological area.

If you prefer to stay closer to the Temples and to the city of Agrigento, consider the Colleverde Park Hotel, or even the newly opened three-star Hotel Amici across the square from the Central Train Station (buses go down the hill to the Temples and the Archeological Museum).

I stayed at the Villa Athena in 2000 (you can read my review in the hotels section of this site), and can confirm that it has a unique and incomparable view of the Temple of Concorde, although the hotel itself leaves much to be desired, and is definitely expensive. One taxi driver quipped to me that the Villa Athena is really a two-star hotel with a beautiful view of two temples (Concorde, Hera), thereby making it a four-star property!!!!!!

You might also consider the 4-star Dioscuri Bay Palace (part of the upscale Framon Group), near the beach at San Leone, a resort-type modern structure which takes many bus groups. There is bus service to San Leone from Agrigento's train station.

GAC Nov 12th, 2003 07:20 AM

Here are some more selections to consider in the area known as Villaggio Mose:

Grand Hotel dei Templi (4-star)
Jolly della Valle (4-star)
Grand Hotel Mose (3-star)
Akrabello (3-star)

You really need a car to stay in this area.

GAC Nov 12th, 2003 07:47 AM

CORRECTION:

To make matters more confusing, it appears that the Grand Hotel dei Templi, in the Villaggio Mose, 7 kilometers from the train station, was formerly the large (146 twin rooms) Jolly Hotel in Agrigento, but is no longer part of that chain. It opened around 1975.

By contrast, the Jolly della Valle, opened in 1965 (it has been recently modernized), is somewhat smaller, and is actually much closer to the city of Agrigento.

GAC Nov 21st, 2003 10:18 AM

Check this out:

www.colleverde-hotel.it

The Colleverde Park Hotel is a 4-star property located little more than one kilometer from the Agrigento central train station and along the street which eventually leads to the temples. Some rooms have views of the Temple of Concorde, and the property is only 400 metres from the Archeological Museum. There are special discount rates for three night stays.

lisabelina Nov 21st, 2003 07:12 PM

Cynthia,
We stayed at the Colleverde Park this October. We had booked a standard room for 120 euros but they upgraded us to a room with a view of the Temples. The garden is lovely as is the view and the room is fine. The breakfast and impersonal atmosphere of the hotel were a bit of a turn-off but it might be one of the better finds in Agrigento. The temples are truly magnificent and only a short drive away! Lisa

kalel66 Jul 9th, 2007 08:00 AM

we went to agrigento and stayed at villa holiday.look here http://www.villaholidayagrigento.com
it's a small hotel 2km from the beach and 4km from the valley of the temples.nice and quiet economic as well we really prefer family run places.

caroline_edinburgh Jul 9th, 2007 08:07 AM

The first time I went, I stayed for one night at the Jolly. It was OK - a corporate chain-style hotel, pretty much like a low- to mid-range Hilton or Holiday Inn. It is in town, though, and has a pool - although I don't suppose that will be of interest in January.

Last time we stayed 2 nights at the La Foresteria Baglio della Luna & really liked it - I'd recommend it if you'll have a car (it's a couple of miles outside town, on the other side of the temples). In an old fortified farmhouse, charming room, great food, lovely gardens, view (although not a close one) of the temples.

ekscrunchy Jul 11th, 2007 02:20 PM

I stayed at the Colleverde Park two years ago..I agree with Lisabellina's comments above...not memorable but just fine..a bit sterile. Our room was large with a temple view and large bthroom. Friends of mine returned yesterday from a trip that included two nights at the Baglio della Luna. They liked it very much and thought very highly of the restaurant as well.

lb3 Jul 11th, 2007 04:25 PM

We stayed at Locands di Terre {www.locandaditerra.it}a B & B that we really enjoyed. The rooms are clean with wonderful air conditioners, but the best part was the restaurant. The seafood was very fresh and the plate presentation wonderful.