Hotels

Jan 22nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Hotels

I'll be flying in and out of London Heathrow on my first trip to another continent and would like to stay at a place reasonably easy to get to and from the airport. We plan to do a lot of traveling but would like our first and last night to be easy and comfortable. We do not plan to rent a car so we will be doing trains, cabs, bus or whatever is easiest. Generally on my travels the comfort of a good night sleep is top priority. Any suggestions? Thanks, ddemasi
Jan 22nd, 2011, 04:12 PM

No one can give you any sort of advice/suggestions w/o knowing where you will be traveling.

Are you visiting London --or just passing through on the way somewhere else? If you are just passing through --to were?

What time do you land? If it isn't very late at night and you are visiting London -- it is usually easier to stay in the center of town instead of near the airport.

Same w/ the last night. It depends mostly on where you will be that day and how early your flight is the next day. If it is very early in the morning -- then staying near the airport makes sense. But often it is more convenient to stay elsewhere.

Also -- what is your budget?

We need more info from you - otherwise we are just guessing/shooting in the dark.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I'm new at this. We will be getting into London at 7:30 in the evening and will spend a few days doing the sights in London before venturing to other parts of England and Scotland. We plan to return to London the day before we depart which is at 11:15 am. I usually spend $100 - $150 a night for lodging.
Jan 23rd, 2011, 09:23 AM

OK w/ those times there is really no need to stay at the airport. Especially on your 1st night - w/ a 7:30PM arrival you can be a a central London hotel by about 9:30/10:00-ish. I would just book that night at whichever hotel you use for the rest of your London stay.

For the night before flying home, it partly depends on how you are returning to London and at what time. If you take a train to London - then you can stay in central London and if the hotel is along the Piccadilly tube line you can head out to LHR around 7:30-8:00 AM. If you fly back to London--then I'd take an evening flight and just hole up at a LHR hotel that night.

And if you are driving back -- you could spend that last night in Windsor and then just have a 7 mile drive to the airport/rental car drop off.

$100-$150 is not a fortune in London -- approx £60-£95. But certainly doable. A lot more will be available near the upper end of your budget. Londontown.com is a good site for hotel deals.

Or --if you are comfortable using Priceline or Hotwire, there are amazing bargains. But you don't learn which hotel it is until after you bid and pay. If that doesn't sound like something you want to do, then use Londontown

Search this Thread