Reload this Page >

Hotelguesthouse in Rothenburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Lin

Hi- can anyone recommend a nice and affordable (under $100) place to stay in Rothenburg - we'll probably just be there for one night. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Paulo

Last time in Rothenburg we stayed at the Hotel Gerberhaus. Nothing to rave about, simple, but good location within the city walls, clean and confortable. We paid DM 135 for a double with bath. Booked on line ... see <BR>http://www.gerberhaus.rothenburg.de/ <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Monica

Hi Lin, <BR> <BR>I will be going to Germany in June and after reading recommendations from this forum, I have booked at the Hotel Gerberhaus. The price for a double room, complete bath, and breakfast buffet (which I was told was great) will be 135DM (about $73) (including taxes). They accept Visa and M/C. This hotel is also listed in a couple of guidebooks. <BR> <BR>Other hotels I considered were: <BR>Kloster-Stuble (100-200DM); Hornburg (prices depends on the rooms 135-175DM); and Schranne (120DM). <BR> <BR>I have the addresses and phone/fax numbers if interested.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 11:57 AM
Paulo

We also got free garage and breakfast was included in the rate. For us it worked perfectly, specially because our daughters were staying in the YHI hostel nearby. We also stayed a single night (arrived in the evening after our overseas flight into Frankfurt and went on to Salzburg the next day after lunch. <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 12:35 PM
carole

We stayed at the hotel klosterstuble which was lovely. We had a family room which was actually two connecting rooms - one with a four poster bed and the other which lovely pine bunk beds for the kids and a table and chairs. It was like something out of hansel and grettal! I think it cost us about £100 for the night for two rooms for four people and breakfast. The food was great - dinner was served either in the dining room or on a small terrace. Hotel was very well situated and had parking space. Look on www.karenbrown.com website for recommendations for germany inns. Try to join the nightwatchmans tour that leaves at 8pm(?) - great fun and very educational.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 03:18 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Paulo and Monica, What do they say about great minds ? We too stayed in <BR>the Gerberhaus last May and found it to be very adequate and excellent value. <BR>It was actually our third choice from <BR>the web site, but I am glad we found it.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 04:32 PM
Bob

A little bit more expensive, but nice, is the Hotel Reichs Kutchenmeister. We have stayed there numerous times. It is next to St Jacobs church and very close to the main square in town. Even if you do not sleep there, the restaurant is very good (reasonable), plus they have a small wine stube in another part of the building. We found it a great location as it is in the middle of town and easy to walk back to after exploring the city.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 05:09 PM
M & J

Hi Lin. We spent Thanksgiving in Rothenburg at the Hotel Gerberhaus and would return again and again. Directly across the street is Hotel Goldene Rose which offers delicious inexpensive dinners. You really need more than one night in this fantastic city. Find some more time ! Walk the city walls at dusk, travel through the centuries with the 8pm Night Watchman Walk, spend hours poking about in the Medieval Crime and Punishment Museum (it would be great hit with kids as they see masks used to shame people, although those horrid instruments of torture are too much, frightening...). Walk about in the castle gardens at night. St Jacob's Church has a wood carved masterpiece by Tilman Riemenschneider. The helpful tourist office has a walking guide book with details about the town. If you enjoy detailed etchings, climb the steps to the second floor at the Ernst Geissendofer Print Shop-on the corner of Market Square (perhaps they will offer you a little brandy to ward off the chill !) <BR>The city is a walker's heaven. Park the car and enjoy.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 06:45 PM
Mary Ann

Last September we stayed at the Altfrankische Winstube am Klosterhof, a 600 year old Pub with I think 6 rooms above. It was $56 a night for a double with a bath and CNN. A very nice breakfast and parking in view of the hotel. People were very nice too and the place was exceptionally clean.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 12:22 AM
deepa

Last year we stayed at the Hotel Hornburg and were very pleased. Great location, next to the main entrance of the walled old town, next to a large car parking lot, wonderful rooms and hosts (and their two adorable golden labs), charming ambience, hearty breakfast and was about $100 per night.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 05:06 AM
Lin

Thanks for all of the great recommendations. We just might spend another night there after hearing all of the raves. We have a second night free (we'll be heading to Garmisch to ski for a couple of days) and were debating on whether to stay in Rothenburg a second night or in Munich.