Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel with rooftop breakfast in Athens-Plaka area

May 5th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

I know this is going to sound a bit much...but for our one night in Athens (surprising husband for birthday to Greece), I was hoping to find a hotel that offers breakfast on a rooftop terrace. The Adrian hotel fits the bill, but after taking too long to decide, it's not available anymore (also called hotel directly). I know the Attalos and a few others has a rooftop garden for drinks, but I want a breakfast on the roof w/a beautiful view.

does anyone know of a hotel that has this?

thanks!
May 5th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Of course, tamarat, in making such a request, it would be helpful if you gave the date.

There are some hotels that would be good, but are fully booked.

Try Athens Gate or the Plaka Hotel ... I know the latter serves breakfast on their terrace, you'd have to inquire about the former.
May 5th, 2009, 06:20 AM

I won't be staying there until September, but I know that the Grande Bretagne, on Syntagma Sqaure, has breakfast on their rooftop terrace, the GB Roofgarden and that it has fabulous views. They offer continental, a la carte and an expansive "American" buffet options. Their website is www.grandebretagne.gr. If you click on "Dining" and then "Roofgarden" from the drop-down menu, you will see a description. Also, at the bottom of that page, you can click on the "Breakfast" link to view a .pdf version of the breakfast menu.
May 5th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

travelerjan, the date is Monday May 25th for one night. I never thought to put the date as I'm not expecting anyone to do the searching for me! I simply would like to know which hotels offer this so that I can waste my time, not yours!

Delaine, thanks for your suggestion - the GB looks gorgeous but out of the price range. I'm splurging on the hotel in Santorini and want something a little more reasonable in Athens, especially since it's only one night (not even 24 hours there) - between 100-130 Euros.
May 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM

Athens Gate has an excellent breakfast buffet (was included with room) on their rooftop terrace/dining room with amazing view of Acropolis.
May 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Tamarat:
Check out the Magna Grecia Hotel on Mitropoleos Street in Plaka. Very nice and peaceful rooftop breakfast and view of the Akroplis. And excellent rooms in your price range.
About 5 minutes from Syntagma Square and the Metro.
Also, about 5 minutes from Monastiraki Square and the Metro.
Excellent central location and very nice hotel. I have stayed there 2 years in a row and will be staying there again this year. Maria and Stelios are fantastic. Check out their website:
http://www.magnagreciahotel.com/
May 6th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

thank you dfr4848 and Marinos2006.

Athens Gate was a definite option, but a little above the amount I wanted to spend for the one night. And it's interesting that you found Magna Grecia nice Marinos2006 - just goes to show you that TravelAdvisor is really hard to go by. There were some very poor reviews about the MG there. In fact, I had heard about it, but didn't consider it an option because most of the reviews all-round were negative. Of course, there will never be a consensus, but I try to limit my options to places where the majority of the views are good ones. Nice to see that you liked it.

Are there any other rooftop-breakfast-hotels out there?
May 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Electra Palace in the Plaka has a rooftop restaurant, bar and pool with great views of the Acropolis and the Parthenon, but unless it has changed, breakfast was in a room off the lobby.
May 6th, 2009, 03:22 PM

we are booked for the fresh hotel at the end of may; from the looks of their website, they have a very chic, modern rooftop poolside restaurant where you could enjoy breakfast, or any meal for that matter... our rate was 130 euros, i believe. i won't be able to offer a personal recommendation until i return, but i am excited to stay there!
May 8th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

thank you everyone - I finally decided. It will be the Adrian Hotel, and I chose based on the rooftop garden breakfast (which was key), the location (right in the centre of things) and the price (110E on otel.com, which was the best internet price out of all). I'll let you know how it was when I return.

thanks again for all of your input!