Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel with a balcony in Florence (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-with-a-balcony-in-florence-132415/)

barbara A Jun 26th, 2001 11:33 AM

Hotel with a balcony in Florence

I'll be in florence for two days in August with my husband and want to book a hotel that has nice size rooms, centrally located and has a view and a balcony. I cant spend more than $200 a day...

kam Jun 26th, 2001 11:42 AM

Try searching for the Lungarno, across the river near the Ponte Vecchio. It might be out of price range, but husband just returned from Italy and said exchange rate is great. Good luck.

Book Chick Jun 26th, 2001 01:27 PM

Hi Barbara,<BR>Sometimes my classmates' families came to visit in Florence &amp; I compiled a small list of hotels that have a balcony with room. You may want to research prices, as there's probably a great deal of variability.<BR><BR>The Lungarno, already mentioned<BR><BR>The Grand Hotel Mediterraneo<BR><BR>The Hotel Ritz (which I don't think is necessarily connected with the Ritz hotel chain)<BR><BR>The Hotel Park Palace<BR><BR>The Astoria Hotel<BR><BR>The Hotel Raffaello<BR><BR>The Golden Tulip Kraft Hotel (some rooms, not all)<BR><BR>Hope this helps. For a wonderful view of the whole city, take the short bus ride up to Fiesole. This view is absolutely spectacular &amp; is one of my most cherished memories of the time I spent studying there.<BR>Buon Viaggio,<BR>BC

Lori Jun 26th, 2001 01:51 PM

We had a *wonderful* experience 3 weeks ago at Pensione Bencista in Fiesole, 15 minutes outside of Florence right on the busline. It was unbelievable. Try rooms 19 &amp; 21 for exquisite views and I believe 21 along with others has a balcony. Right (below) your price range. You can view a picture of it at: <BR><BR>http://www.italiantuscany.com/de/loc...pensionede.htm

richard j vicek Jun 26th, 2001 05:18 PM

Good evening, Barbara check into the<BR>Lungarno as do recall balconies overlooking the Arno and Florence. <BR>as viewed from its sister hotel the<BR>Continental which is across the river <BR>and its sister hotel.<BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Ill.<BR>see www.slb.com/pages/f/floluna.html.<BR>www.lungarnohotels.it/<BR>

Wendy Jun 26th, 2001 06:35 PM

We stayed at the Lungarno as well, but might be a little bit out of the price range. Location is wonderful, view was great.Breakfast is included of that makes it any cheaper to compare to other hotels. Rooms are nice.

Sherryl Jun 26th, 2001 06:40 PM

Barbara,<BR><BR>I haven't stayed there yet, but I have reservations for the Plaza Lucchesi. It overlooks the Arno &amp; is a little away from the center of town, but 10 minutes walking to get there. Next to Santa Croce. In mid August it's about $250 / night for a "superior double" with balcony &amp; river view. Also has free parking if that helps. Price includes tax &amp; breakfast - maybe you can get a rate w/o bkfst. their website is www.plazalucchesi.it<BR>Hope this helps

Judy Jun 26th, 2001 06:48 PM

I stayed at the Grand Hotel (a Starwood property) and had a large room with balcony overlooking the Arno. I would definitely recommend the hotel, although it may be pricier than you want to spend. However, if you are a Starwood member, you may be able to take advantage of the 30% discount mentioned in their recent newsletter.

kam Jun 26th, 2001 09:43 PM

Sherryl, the Plaza Lucchese does overlook the Arno, but you will not be looking back at Florence. On the wrong side of the river (the city side), but still very pretty. Have stayed here, it's a good choice.

Sherryl Jun 27th, 2001 07:42 PM

Kam,<BR><BR>Thanks for the info - am I going to be crossing the river for all the sightseeing or am I on the right side for that? Did you find the rooms to be nice size? Any other input would be much appreciated.

kam Jun 27th, 2001 08:21 PM

Sherryl, you will be on the same side of the Arno as the city of Florence. It's not a big walk to the city center, maybe 15 minutes. You might have a spetacularly pretty view, but you are not across the Arno and so can't look back at the city. Good hotel, though. Would stay with it.

Sherryl Jun 27th, 2001 09:05 PM

Kam,<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR><BR>Sherryl