Hotel Wiechmann - Amsterdam need Lift

Jun 26th, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Wiechmann - Amsterdam need Lift

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Wiechmann in Amsterdam? I need to know if they have a lift or elevator to each floor. We are able to walk, but bad knees can't handle stairs. Trying to choose between Canal House and Wiechmann, I like the $$$ of Wiechmann.
Jun 27th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Bootman4U

Since you've yet to receive an answer I suggest you either e-mail or call them directly...sounds as if the phone call would be a small amount of money to spend vs. what you apparently feel you'll be saving.

Jun 27th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Just checked Fodor's hotels and found the following:

WEICHMANN HOTEL
Prinsengracht 328-330, Amsterdam 1016 HX, Netherlands
Phone: 020/626-3321
Fax: 020/626-8962
Under EUR110

The Weichmann is a favorite with rock musicians, and its main claim to fame is announced by a collection of gold records hung in the lobby, the pride and joy of the owner, Mr. Boddy, who has run this hotel for 50 years. There are delightful personal touches throughout the lobby and adjoining breakfast room, where Mrs. Boddy's fantastic collection of teapots, toys, and antiques adds a cheerful note. The hotel seems like a maze of hallways leading through three buildings to the guest rooms (which are of wildly varying sizes). It's worth the extra money for the ones with views over the canal. Although the hotel could use some upgrading, it, along with its owners, is enchanting. 38 rooms. MC, V

Unfortunately, no mention of an elevator, nor any rants/raves. Perhaps you already know that the Canal House does have an elevator.

Jun 27th, 2003, 09:41 AM

There is a user review on www.channels.nl that states there was no lift. Also, here is the web and email for the hotel:
[email protected]
http://www.hotelwiechmann.nl
Jun 27th, 2003, 10:13 AM

Clea, Have you considered the Owl Hotel, across canal from Leidseplein and adjacent to Vondelpark? The price should be in your range. It has an elevator to guest rooms, but the reception desk is several steps below street level. Might that work for you?

You can read lots of comments on it here -- search for "owl" and Netherlands.
Jun 27th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I will call and verify before I confirm my reservations. If they do not have a lift, Canal House here we come.

thanks Clea