Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel violino d'oro (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-violino-doro-225684/)

violino d'oro May 28th, 2002 06:38 AM

hotel violino d'oro

the violino d'oro appears to have what we are looking for. air conditioning,private bath,near st. marks,non smoking is nice,on a small canal,discount for cash and looks nice on the internet pictures.<BR><BR>we can book a standard room for 220 euro or a room facing (the little place) for 250 euro and a room facing the little canal for 270 euro. <BR><BR>my thoughts are that the standard room may be just as nice and that the others, although with a better view, may be noicy. what do you think? has anyone been there?<BR><BR>thanks,<BR><BR>jim and camille

Enough Already May 28th, 2002 06:55 AM

This is turning into the Jim & Camille travel board. How many posts do they need to establish what is or is not a good hotel? I hope they have a lovely second honeymoon, but maybe 1-2 of us should go with them to hold their hands, since they seem to need so much support to manage!!

xxx May 28th, 2002 07:08 AM

Yes, that is just as good a justification as any for saving a few dollars.<BR>In all honesty, you can guarantee about 99% of the time, that the more expensive room is more expensive for a reason -- larger, nicer, better view, or whatever.<BR>Certainly at this hotel, the more you spend the better the room.<BR>What in the world would make you guess that "the standard room may be just as nice"?

jim and camille May 28th, 2002 07:20 AM

thank you igor for your kind support.<BR>we are down to the wire on our plans for our trip to italy. we realize there have been a lot of questions,but there have been a lot of valueable opinions. if you do not like our questions,simply do not read our postings. sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused any of you.<BR><BR>jim and camille

sally May 28th, 2002 08:17 AM

To [email protected],<BR><BR>one hotel post is never enough. the sites load up with varied questions and subtle changes in policy or needs of the travelers require clearification.<BR><BR>jim and camille have been polite and fun to follow over the past week. let them ask their questions without negative comments from you.<BR><BR>sally

Toni May 28th, 2002 10:31 AM

The Violino D'oro is a really nice hotel. We stayed there and in a room with a view of the canal and Campo (a double campo, at that). We paid for the room with the view only because I wanted to see all the gondola activity outside my window. It was great. I know that with a standard room you have a nice room, but without a view. It's OK only if you wish to sleep and bath. But, I did like to gaze out my window late at night and early in the morning to see the activity. You have to decide which you like to do. Have fun.

kavey May 28th, 2002 01:17 PM

Stayed in room 103 over Easter for 6 nights, loved the hotel.<BR>Have posted here about it in a lot of detail. A search on Violino should bring it up if you want to read it.<BR>Kavey