Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen

Jan 31st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Aloha,
I will be staying at this hotel when I visit in October 2007. I booked it because it looked like it was a nice location and it has a good star (5) rating and a Spa. Now that I have been looking around on the internet I see on Tripadvisor that most of the comments by guests were not very good. Has anyone stayed there recently and could tell me if I have made the right choice? If not I have time to change it any better suggestions?
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Jan 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM
ExpertTripPlanner

Didn't care for the place in 2004- not at all what I expected for 5 star (more like 3 star). Had to change rooms. However, not sure what else to recommend. What does tripadvisor show?

Jan 31st, 2007, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Aloha Expert Trip Planner,
There were several posts from people on TripAdviser that stated that this hotel did not live up to it's 5 star rating either? When I mentioned this Hotel to some people I have meet from Germany they all rave about it, but I wonder if any of them has ever styed at the hotel or if they just know it's rated as a 5 star hotel? Maybe there are other people who will read this post too and give their thoughts as well and possible alternatives?
Mahalo,
Jeanne
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:04 PM

We had dinner there in 1961 and loved it. Does that count?
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:13 PM

If you want to spend that kind of money and still stay in that particular neighborhood perhaps you should look at the Mandarin Oriental instead.
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I have stayed at this hotel four to five times and depending on the room--you could have a great or mediocre experience. I have liked some rooms better than others. Ask to see another one if you do not like the one you are assigned--more of a four star than a five star hotel--that is correct. I entirely agree with that assessment, however one cannot beat the location. I now prefer smaller elegant German, family owned hotels. the rooms are just as elegant and breakfast is ususally included unlike the larger hotels...just be discriminating.
Feb 4th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Another vote for the mandarin-oriental.
Feb 4th, 2007, 07:27 PM
DAX

If you book the suite, you may be OK, but anything less will be terribly disappointing. The regular room starts with old formica furniture & a funky diagonal formica bed, the next level is not much better. Only the suite was finally OK though it felt like staying in a traditional old lodge. We did like the location very much.
Feb 4th, 2007, 11:44 PM

Like others said, the rooms vary greatly; but I have not had a bad room there. This hotel is comparable to The Bayerischer Hof - in price, quality, and room variance. They are both good 4-5 star hotels. The Mandarin Oriental is nicer, but significantly more expensive - usually 50-75% more. They are all well located in the same neighborhood.
Feb 5th, 2007, 07:26 AM

Vier Jahreszeiten is a VERY conservative hotel. Look at the Dorint Sofitel Bayerpost for a contemporary hotel with a stunning spa.