Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel versus apartment stay in Italy's Lake Como

May 28th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Now that my husband & I have postponed our Italy trip until next year, I've had some time to rethink some of our accommodation choices.

I am now considering an apartment rental - Residence La Limonera in Bellagio. It is attractive for its location, ammenities and reasonable rates.

That said, we have always stayed in small family-run hotels and B&B's during our trips to France. We enjoyed the intimacy and having interactions with the owners plus their guidance/suggestions for dining places. We loved having breakfast provided for us on site & being able to return to our room before heading out for the day.

So, for our first trip to Italy, will an apartment stay in Bellagio meet our needs? Is this the place to stretch our travelling experiences & try something different?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

May 28th, 2008, 05:51 PM

I love staying in apartments rather than hotels but I think the choice depends on how long you're staying. If only for a couple of days then I would probably stay in a hotel. If Bellagio is your base for a week or more then the apartment is a good idea, especially if it saves you money over a hotel.

You can find lots of good dining info on this board - there's been quite a few threads on Bellagio and area restaurants.

For breakfast, you can buy yogurt, cheese, butter, fruit, coffee, milk, etc. at the beginning of your stay and go out in the morning for fresh bread. Bellagio is small so it should only take a few minutes to get bread when you need it.

Plus in the late afternoon you can relax in your apartment and have a glass or two of wine before going to dinner.

I loved Bellagio and taking the ferries to different towns. It's a magical place.
May 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM

Hi 2010

I stayed at La Limonera last month and highly recommend it. The rate was reasonable (E135/night for a medium apartment), and it is in a lovely setting. Our apartment had a view of the lake, which was gorgeous. The beds were very comfortable. There is a small grocery right at the gate, plus a cafe and a gelateria. It's like your own little piece of Bellagio. My one piece of advice is to pack light, since you're going to have to get your luggage up there.

Johanna
May 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Adrienne:

Yes, the appeal of an apartment is the ability to have light meals in & enjoy a drink whilst savouring the lake view! La Limonera offers rates by the day, not weekly so it fits with our plan to stay in Bellagio for 4 nights.

Thanks for your encouragement!

May 28th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Johanna:

Thanks for your review of La Limonera! With grocery, cafe & the all-important gelateria close by, it makes picking up provisions so easy! The location & accommodations sound perfect!

We will have a car and the residence offers garage parking (fee). No worries about hauling bags up the hill for us!

I am feeling quite encouraged about the possibility of an apartment stay!