Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel Torbreau versus Hotel Cortina in the Marienplatz in Munich.?

Hotel Torbreau versus Hotel Cortina in the Marienplatz in Munich.?

Apr 19th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

Hotel Torbreau versus Hotel Cortina in the Marienplatz in Munich.?

This is an extension to my previous question. The answers were quite helpful. But no no one men tioned the Hotel Cortina as an alternative which I found some people praising on another web site. Could someone tell me the relative distances of each some pros and cons of each before my commiting probably to the Torbreau. Thank you. Jack
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:42 AM

>Torbreau
It's spelled Torbraeu. (Might give you more results when searching). The Torbräu is not at the Marienplatz, but at the next train station "Isartor". Tor means gate and you will find the Isar-Gate on the left side of the hotel. Walking to the Marienplatz isn't that far.

I liked the brunch there, but others that went with me, weren't that impressed. Hotel Cortina is closer to Marienplatz, but not as close to an S-Bahn train station. Hotel Cortina is rather new. From the Torbräu you're just a few steps away from a train (underground line). Next to the Torbräu is a Conrad electronics store. Burger King, McDonalds are across the street.

I won't have brunch at the Torbraeu again, but that doesn't mean it's bad.
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM

>relative distances
I'd guess it must be about 400 meters
Apr 19th, 2009, 06:46 AM

www.conrad.de
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. What is closer to both Marienplatz and to S-bahn. If possible, would like my cake and eat it also. Thank you. Jack
Apr 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM

You won't get that much closer to Marienplatz.
You can also try www.hotel-schlicker.de, (very close)
Mercure Hotel Muenchen Altstadt, Hotel Am Markt.

Either the Torbräu and walk a few minutes or take the train which also runs every 1-3 min

or walk from Cortina and other hotels. You won't find a hotel at Marienplatz. Real estate is expensive there.
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM

We have stayed at the Torbrau twice in recent years and found it to be good. The rooms are somewhat small but always clean and the breakfast is pretty good. The walk to M'platz is about 15 minutes.

We have also stayed at the Platzl which is nicer. Very Bavarian with larger rooms and a nice breakfast buffet. It is a short walk to the M'platz from here. The only problem we ever had at the Platzl was that leaving windows open on hot nites allowed noise from the nearby Hofbrauhaus. You can ask for a room not facing that area and that's what we did the next time we stayed here.

Either hotel is fine...if I had to choose I would pick the Platz cause I like the slightly larger rooms and its' proximity to the main areas of the city.
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM

Yes, the Platzl sounds good too, imho.
Apr 19th, 2009, 09:58 AM

The Cortiina (spelled with two "i") has devoted fans among several of my out-of-town co-workers. They stay there every time they come to Munich.
BUT: The Cortiina is not some cosy Bavarian Oompah-Schweinebraten-Dirndl place but a much more a smart, upmarket "boutique hotel" (whatever that stupid designation means anyway).
It is closer to Marienplatz than the Torbräu - but the overall distance is 200 meters (Cortiina) vs 400 meters, as logos said for the Torbräu, so not really a killer argument IMO.

Search this Thread