Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel to recommend in Edinborough? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-to-recommend-in-edinborough-134533/)

Jack328 Jun 30th, 2001 08:23 PM

Hotel to recommend in Edinborough?

My wife and I are travelling to Edinborough for four nights in late August. Can you recommend any great places to stay for good sights, access to pionts of interest at about 3 to 4 star price?

janis Jun 30th, 2001 08:54 PM

There are many, many wonderful hotels in Edinburgh. Unfortunately many of them are full in August - some visitors book a full year ahead. Between the festivals and the Tattoo, Edinburgh almost doubles in size during August. <BR><BR>So instead of getting suggestions for hotels which are likely fully booked, contact the tourist information office at Waverly Bridge (I don't have their phone # with me but it should be easy to locate through the STB website) and contact them directly to make a booking for you. Or this is a case where I might turn it over to a travel agent. I don't usually use agents but for really busy times like August in Edinburgh, let them make all the phone calls.<BR><BR>And make your arrangements as soon as possible . . . . .

Linda Jul 1st, 2001 12:39 PM

Jack, it's said Edinborough, but spelled Edinburgh. :) (It'll make looking for it on airport or train station boards a lot easier!)

Bob Jul 1st, 2001 04:45 PM

We stayed at the HOWARD HOTEL a few years ago on recommendation of friends. Classy place. Close to the downtown area. Old Victorian style rooms that have been updated. The only sign out front was a brass plaque with name of the hotel on it. Might be worth a try to check it out.

scurry Jul 1st, 2001 05:57 PM

<BR>Do not stay at the Suffolk Hall Hotel. We had a terrible expereince.

kitty Jul 2nd, 2001 09:49 AM

Hi,<BR><BR>We stayed for two nights at the Castle View Guest House and really enjoyed it. However, the B&amp;B is on the 4th and 5th floor of a building with no elevator so if anyone in your pary has trouble with a lot of stairs this would not be good for you. Breakfast was great, place was very clean, and our room was huge (we had a quad room, the Burns room, because we had two adults and two kids). We would definitly stay there again. From our room we could see Edinburgh Castle which was beautiful.

Cara Jul 2nd, 2001 08:39 PM

I stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel in January and was quite pleased with my accomodations. It was a great location (on Princes Street across from the Waverly Station), had very pleasant service, a view of the castle and all at a good price.

Kelli Jul 3rd, 2001 04:50 AM

I also stayed at the Old Waverly Hotel in May. The location was central to the main tourist attractions (which is always most important when traveling), however the hotel itself was not very nice. Granted I am very picky about my accomodations, but I really found this hotel to be a bit of a disappointment. If your room faces the main road, the traffic and street lights will impede your ability to get a good night sleep. The rooms are also very small and not the cleanest. <BR> <BR>It is a decent budget hotel however if the imperfections listed above can be overlooked. On a more positive note, The Grain, is an excellent restaurant near the Castle. I would reccomend either going to dinner early or making reservations as it is a smaller establishment that filled up quite fast in the evenings. <BR> <BR>Enjoy your trip. Edinburgh is a great place.

Jane Jul 3rd, 2001 11:17 AM

I discovered the Green's Hotel in 1997, and have stayed there on my trips to Edinbourgh ever since. BIG recommend.

T.M. Jul 3rd, 2001 12:10 PM

I totally agree with Jane about Green's Hotel. I was there last September right after the Festival ended. It was the first stop on our tour and the best hotel we stayed in that week. <BR> <BR>Green's is small and not that far from Prince's Street but I think it works to its advantage. It is located in a pleasant neighborhood. You're away from the hubbub. Green's used to be three Regency-style townhomes but they combined them into one nice residential area hotel. We easily walked to Edinburgh Castle and the pubs. <BR> <BR>Our room faced the street and had a lovely bay window. It was nicely decorated and had extras like tea-making goodies. And there is an elevator, too. <BR> <BR>Breakfast, as I recall, was also quite good! <BR> <BR>I think the cost was 75 pounds but I'm not sure. <BR> <BR>And no, Green's is not paying me to post this! ;-)