Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Tipping in Spain (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-tipping-in-spain-906122/)

bronlev2 Sep 14th, 2011 11:00 AM

Hotel Tipping in Spain

Is the custom in Spain the same as in the US to leave a tip in a hotel room for the cleaning people? If so, how much is customary?

humptynumpty Sep 14th, 2011 11:42 AM

No!

Robert2533 Sep 14th, 2011 11:51 AM

Most Spaniards do not tip the maid, so they do not expect a tip, it's their job. But we're talking here about international travelers and you'll get a lot of advice, some good, some bad, some irrelevant.

We always leave €1 to €2 each morning, along with a note of thanks. If you don't, you'll probably find the coins still sitting there when you return to your room. A couple of Euros isn't going to break the bank, but it will make someone a little happier.

iris1745 Sep 14th, 2011 11:52 AM

It's optional for us. We always leave a euro or two for the chamber maid. Same with restaurants. Gratutity is included, but we always leave perhaps 5% of the total bill. Decide based on the level of service you receive. Richard

kimhe Sep 14th, 2011 11:53 PM

For some 25 years of extensive travelling in Spain I've almost always left some 3-5% to the cleaning staff, and it's always nice to come back.

ribeirasacra Sep 15th, 2011 12:38 AM

Yes you can do as it is always nice to say thank you.
Loose change for bars when having a drink or snack.
A few euros or more for meals...amount depending on class of establishment.
Never seen a restaurant in Spain where service is included.

Padraig Sep 15th, 2011 03:14 AM

To sum up: don't mind the local custom; do what you would do at home.

iris1745 Sep 15th, 2011 04:22 AM

ribeirasacra, not trying to be divisive, but we have been to Spain three times and service is always included in the restaurant bill. Because we are going to Spain again next September, I have just received ESPANA from the tourist bureau and it also suggests at restaurants 'service included' and usual, though not obligatory, to leave 5% to 10% of the bill for a tip. However, I am not suggesting that restaurants that you go to include service. Only my own experience. We will be on the ground for 15 nights somewhere north of Madrid and if we get to your area would love to meet somewhere. Richard

ira Sep 15th, 2011 08:39 AM

Hi B,

I leave 1E/$1 per night for the cleaning staff and a similar amount for the breakfast staff.

It is not necessary. It is not expected. It is not refused. I have, sometimes, seen an improvement in service.

((I))

Robert2533 Sep 15th, 2011 10:42 AM

Yes, a service charge is included in all restaurant bills in Spain, the same as it is in France, Portugal and even Italy. It may not be noted as such, as they do in France, but it's in there. If you're with a larger group, they always up the service charge to cover the extra work.

You can leave an additional 'tip' if you like, we often do, but it's seldom expected unless their business is centered around foreign tourist, who usually overtip.

humptynumpty Sep 15th, 2011 11:31 AM

A service charge is included in the bill because the business will include it in their bill.

As I have said many times Audi don't charge me £30,000 for a car and then leave a pot on the counter expecting a £10,000 tip for the labour costs.

I am also confused as to why Americans are obsessed with conforming to European dress customs but not other customs.

ribeirasacra Sep 16th, 2011 12:13 AM

iris1745
I live and work in Spain. In fact I work in what the Spanish call hosteleria. With that in mind I can assure you that service charges are not included into Spanish bills.
If you visit say France you will see this as an addition to the bill. You never see that on a Spanish bill. Only the IVA (Value Added Tax).

ribeirasacra Sep 16th, 2011 12:17 AM

Sorry I hit the send button too soon;
You will find different prices when you sit/stand at the bar for a drink and/or snack to that inside the bar to that on the terrace. Maybe that is what everyone here is getting confused over.
The price difference is normal it is like having a sea view room in a hotel the most popular locations come at a premium.