Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Terzo Crotto reopened in Cernobbio – great news!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 03:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After being closed for a number of years the Hotel Restaurant Terzo Crotto has reopened in Cernobbio - http://www.terzocrotto.it/

It’s under totally new management and quite a lot of money has been spent to bring it up to scratch. The restaurant has already hit the mark both with locals and visitors.

Good to see that someone has the courage to invest in these difficult times.
Old Aug 22nd, 2010, 08:39 AM

Thanks for posting this--it looks like my kind of place, and I think Cernobbio would be an ideal place to stay on a visit to Lake Como. I thought the town was charming without having lost its soul to tourism.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Eks
As many will have realised by now cernobbio is one of my favourites. It is an upmarket location - where can go higher than Villa d'Este - but also has good quality but simple hotels such as the Terzo Crotto and La Vignetta.
Transport to Como and beyond is good both by bus and boat. It is great to visit with many interesting shops but, unlike Bellagio and some of the other towns mid lake, it gives the feel of being a town where a lot of people are based and carry on their daily lives i.e. it does not become a dead town outside of the tourist season.
Old Aug 23rd, 2010, 08:00 AM

This is exactly what I liked about Cernobbio. Bellagio is gorgeous, but I got the impression that the town lived and died for tourism. I did not notice many shops oriented towards local residents and I felt that it really was one long string of boutiques and restaurants.

I have the same thoughts about Positano, which is also popular on these forums, and which seemed to me to be dominated by English-speaking tourists when I last visited. (I have stayed, on various visits to the area, at both Positano and Amalfi (and Sorrento) and prefer Amalfi). On Lake Como, Menaggio comes closer to my own ideal, but for some reason, that town seemed to me to be woefully short on good places to eat.

So while I've not stayed in Cernobbio, I would certainly consider doing so on my next visit to the area. I also like the proximity to Como itself, which I did not have a chance to explore but which seems tempting... AND, last but certainly not least, Italian friends of mine with origins in the area told me that Cernobbio has some excellent places to eat that are not solely patronized by foregin tourists. One place they love is this one:

http://www.trattoriadelglicine.eu/

So here is a question: For those considering basing themselves in Cernobbio, what are the options for ferry transport to those popular mid-lake towns: Bellagio, Varenna and Tremezzo in particular?

Another good point is that Cernobbio is closer to Malpensa, where many might fly into to begin their trip to the lake area..
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 01:11 PM

How far from the water is this hotel please? Is it a short walk?
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

It is about 2 1/2 minutes from the bus stop and 5 minutes max from the lake and the ferry pier.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 09:01 AM

I have emailed them to see if they have room, thanks!