Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Suggestions - Santa Margherita and Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Can anyone recommend hotels for Santa Margherita and Venice, single room, priced 45E to 90E, willing to pay up t0 30E more if great view of coast.

Also, are there any boat rides along the italian riviera, how much and where can i find them?

Thanks.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:53 PM

Can't help you in Venice, but in Santa Margherita check out Hotel Fasce, Hotel Laurin and Hotel Jolanda - all under E90 for a single with breakfast. We stayed in Hotel Fasce and loved it. Many others have given good reviews to Jolanda and Laurin.
Old Oct 16th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rbrazill....I'll definitely look into those hotels. I've read so many great reviews on Santa Margherita on here....sounds like a wonderful place. Definitely excited about my visit.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:09 PM

When are you going? It can make a big difference in the rate.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
www.lacalcina.com for Venice

they have several single rooms some with private bath, some with shared, it's a fabulous hotel
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

I will be there Oct 19-29, since it's off-peak season...I was hoping to get some better rates.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I did a quick search on TripAdvisor and, I hate to tell you, but it looks like things are booked pretty solid for those dates. You may want to go ahead and get something nailed down. Good luck!
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Went to Santa Margherita in summer 2003 and stayed at the Villa Gnocchi high up in the hills overlooking the town. Chose this because of many recommendations on this site as well as a favourable report on the Karen Brown site. I am sure you would not be disappointed especially if you are looking for somewhere that includes a traditional Italian evening meal served on a lovely terrace with fantastic views of the coastline.
Old Nov 26th, 2005, 02:00 PM

We travel a lot, including numerous trips to Italy, and Villa Gnocchi ranks as our absolute worst travel experience. Never mind that it is impossibly far from the center of town, and that the trains running north-south below the inn keep you awake all night. We could have dealt with those issues alone. But the innkeeper was rude; we saw one of the waitstaff LICKING a glass to clean it; the highly-acclaimed meal was like a microwave leftover dinner; room was cramped even by local standards; and when we checked out, forfeiting one night's deposit in order to book at the Hotel Laurin, the owner harassed us, found us later in town and yelled at us, and next day we found our tires slashed. BTW, the Hotel Laurin more than made up for our troubles - we loved it and would return.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:47 PM

3gigs--OMG what a horrid experiance that must have been! I have been researching hotels for our May 06 trip, and the Laurin is so far the top runner..another poster mentioned the hotel Fasco..and it looks real cute, except everything I read (including Rick Steeves Italy 06 guide!) mentions that the owner is, (ahem!) a little on the cranky and controlling side. something I could easily do without anytime, and absolutly on vacation!!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 07:27 PM

My wife and I just spent 3 days in Santa Margherita in Hotel Fasce and found it wonderful. Nice clean rooms, GREAT breakfast, even bacon and eggs if you want it! Staff and service was excellent. If you stay 3 days they'll give you RT tickets to Cinque Terre! We took the train to Riomaggiore and made our way to the other towns by walking, train, and boat, then took the train back to SML. They also will let you use bicycles to ride around town or to Portofino.
Lots of boat rides availaabe in just about every town. The short ride to Portofino is inexpensive.
If you stay in SML, be sure to eat at Il Faro at 33 Via Maragliano.
[email protected]