Hotel suggestions in Salzburg or Vienna

Jul 1st, 2001, 03:20 PM
cally

Hotel suggestions in Salzburg or Vienna

We are planning on visiting Salzburg & Vienna early Aug. Does anyone have any hotel recommendations in the moderate price range?

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:19 PM
Diane Moll

We have always enjoyed our stay at the Zur goldenen Ente in Salzburg and the Pension Nossek in Vienna (both Rick Steves recommendations). We have revisited each place two to three times over the last couple of years, our most recent visit to Salzburg just last month, the meals there are superb! Feel free to email me directly for more details.

Jul 1st, 2001, 04:39 PM
Bob Brown

Ditto on the golden Duck in Salzburg.
If Robert Dürnle is still the man in charge, you will indeed be well served.
He is the best of his profession that I have seen.

In Vienna, we stayed at the Alt Wienerhof. There is a 5-star restaurant associated with it. The rooms are fine, if you can get one on the inside.
The showers are newly redone and are great. A bus to downtown is almost at the door and the U bahn is even closer.
The neighborhood did not look so great, but no problems ever ensued. The Viennese pretty much leave you alone.

Jul 1st, 2001, 07:46 PM
Linda

Check nethotels.com for good recommendations on both cities. I stayed at Hotelpension Arenberg within the Ring. It is a Best Western property but retains that posh Vienna feel. It is a 4-star, 5-minute walk to Stephensplatz, 3-minutes to Air Terminal where the buses from the airport arrive, and 2-minute to U-Bahn--nice area. It is small with 24 rooms, homemade muslei, bath tub as well as shower. I paid about $50 for 1 in December 2000.
The other nice one is Hotel Drei Kronen, small 3-star hotel near the University and about a 5-8 minute walk to the Opera. It has a good buffet breakfast. I paid about $50.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 12:59 AM
christina

Hotel Die Post (Vienna)

Jul 2nd, 2001, 01:10 AM
John

Been a number of years but the Elefant was nice and well located in Salzburg. We loved the Bristol in Vienna, but unless you get a heck of a deal it's not in the moderate range.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 04:18 AM
BTilke

I've stayed three times in the last 14 months at the Hotel Kaiserin Elisabeth on Weihbrugasse, just off the Karntnerstrasse and less than a block from St. Stephan's Cathedral. You don't say what "moderate" price means to you, but the KE is a 4-star hotel and air conditioned doubles (and believe me, if a heat wave rolls in, you will be glad for that air conditioning!) are $140-$150 per night. Very comfortable rooms, excellent service, superb location.
BTilke

Jul 2nd, 2001, 06:35 PM
errol

WE just got backa from vienna and salzburg.
In salzburg, I'd recommend the Hotel Elefant, well located and very modern--everything has been updated inside-even has card keys such as in the USA. Don't expect much for service but it is an easy place to navigate. Cost was cheap--$135/ night or so.
In Vienna, we stayed at the Hotel Kaiserin Elizabeth which is very well located with very nice and modern rooms. Spacious too. Service we encountered for the four days was awful though--rude and not the least bit helpful. The cost was about $180/night.

Jul 2nd, 2001, 10:47 PM
BTilke

Errol,
Sorry you had bad service there. Our service has always been excellent--when I brought my parents there for their 50th anniversary last year, they gave them the best room in the hotel and had flowers waiting for them. Also booked tours and got us reservations at restaurants that had said they were fully booked when we tried on our own. And arranged for us to be taken back to the airport in a huge, brand new Mercedes for the price of a regular cab.
We never paid more than $150 for a room but prices must have gone up.
BTilke

Jul 3rd, 2001, 04:11 AM
s.fowler

I've wanted tostay at Elisabeth Kaiserien in Vienna -- but it's always been full.

Last time we stayed at Hotel Wandl on Petersplatz. it as about $174 USD last summer. We found the hotel pleasant and well-managed. Our room was large with an equally large bathroom. It looked out on a street just behind Petersplatz. For a view from our room: http://www.geocities.com/shrimp56/pecs-vie/vienna.html

Jul 6th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Carla

We just got back from Europe last night. Vienna was the highlight of our trip, a lovely city, and the 4-star Hotel Royal was part of the reason. It's a terrific location, just around the corner from St. Stephen's Cathedral, in the middle of pedestrian shopping streets, walking distance from the Ringstrasse and the Hoffburg.

The room was elegantly furnished, good bathrooms, excellent full buffet breakfast and helpful staff. Our room was not air-conditioned but had a fan, and since the windows opened on a pedestrian street, noise was only from people, not traffic. We awakened to Cathedral bells each morning.
We booked in January and got a good deal; if you can get in, I highly recommend it. Have fun!

Jul 6th, 2001, 09:53 AM
ellen

I second the Goldenen Ente in Salzburg. Great location and fine restaurant. Try to get a room in the back as the rooms fronting on the street can be noisy.

Jul 7th, 2001, 10:44 AM
Maureen

My husband and I just returned from Vienna and Salzburg. The Hotel Beethoven in Vienna ($122/night) was very clean and the people there were very nice, answered all our questions and recommended good restaurants. We would absolutely recommend Hotel Stieglbrau in Salzburg ($122/night). It was a short walk to the train station as well as Maribell Gardens. The room was large and air conditioned. The people there bent over backwards to accomodate our every need. The breakfast was the best we had in Europe. Email me with any questions you may have about Vienna or Salzburg. We fell in love with Salzburg.

Jul 7th, 2001, 06:36 PM
Maggie

We also returned somewhat recently from a trip that included Vienna and Salzburg. We stayed at the Kaiserin Elisabeth in Vienna and were very happy. As others have said, the location is superb. We found the staff to be helpful and very professional (as someone else already mentioned, they arranged the trip to the airport in a private Mercedes for the price of a taxi.)

We also stayed at the Elephant in Salzburg. We found it to be a fine hotel in a good location--BUT if you have a car beware. Despite assurances that we could drive to the hotel (located in the pedestrian area) we found it to be a nightmare (and we have driven many times in European cities.) The map we were sent was totally inadequate and when we finally got "close" I left husband fuming in car and walked to get advice. The rather offhand advice from the front desk was park two blocks away in a short term parking spot, drop off luggage and then go to underground parking garage. If they had told us that in the beginning, no big deal. But being led to beleive it was easy and possible to maneuver through the pedestrian area was misleading at best. Did not start our stay in Salzburg off on the best foot.