Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel suggestions in Annecy, St. Emilion(bordeaux), Antibes...

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 04:09 AM
Andria

I have found hotels, obviously through searching online and finding info. on St. Emilion is getting quite tiresome. In Antibes, i'm looking at the relais du postillon, and hotel welcome. i would like something with a view of the beach and i have also found l'hotel oursin in st. jean cap ferrat. if you know anything about these hotels that would be great. in general im looking for hotels that are centrally located under $100 a night, charming and clean. I hope that's not too much to ask. In Annecy I have found hotel de savoie...in the old town. but it's located right next to place st. francois and im wondering if it wont be too noisy. whatever you can come up with would be great. thanks

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 05:01 AM
Al

Across the lake from Annecy is the small settlement of Talloires. We stayed there in the Hotel Du Lac. It's near the famous restaurant, Auberge de Pere Bis. Quiet, small, beautiful views. Check out the Michelin Red Guide for address, fax #, rates, etc.

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 07:40 AM
John

Hi, Andria, <BR>The Ibis in Annecy is very well located in the old town and ought to be quiet and close to your price range. See http://www.ibis.tm.fr/HOTELWEB/F/05/0538F.htm#NIVEAU-0 <BR>Good luck!

Old Aug 19th, 1999, 02:22 PM
Mary Ann

Rick Steves book does mention that the hotel you mentioned can be noisy. We are going in September and due to time constraints just wanted to stay in the city. We are at the hotel du chateau which may be less expensive since it is a two star.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 02:31 PM
steve

We recently stayed at the Hotel du Palais du L'Isle in Annecy. It is right in the heart of the old town. Our room was very small but quite comfortable-the furniture is very contemporary(designed by Phillipe Starke). Our room was right on the pedestrian street side but was quiet and air conditioned. The rate was under 100USD. We had an excellent dinner at Auberge de Savoie which is right beside Hotel Savoie(but not connected). It is right on a square where there are usually lots of people congregated so it might be noisy(I noticed the rooms all had there windows open). I would suggest you stay in the old town area. Annecy is very pretty and the lake is beautiful, but be prepared for lots of fellow tourists.

Old Aug 20th, 1999, 02:32 PM
steve

We recently stayed at the Hotel du Palais du L'Isle in Annecy. It is right in the heart of the old town. Our room was very small but quite comfortable-the furniture is very contemporary(designed by Phillipe Starke). Our room was right on the pedestrian street side but was quiet and air conditioned. The rate was under 100USD. We had an excellent dinner at Auberge de Savoie which is right beside Hotel Savoie(but not connected). It is right on a square where there are usually lots of people congregated so it might be noisy(I noticed the rooms all had there windows open). I would suggest you stay in the old town area. Annecy is very pretty and the lake is beautiful, but be prepared for lots of fellow tourists.

Old Aug 21st, 1999, 11:40 AM
Ellen

In Annecy, the Hotel Savoie has a great location so ask for a quiet room but it won't have the best view. I mostly wanted to add that the restaurant at the hotel is superb (auberge de Savoie)! <BR>Ellen

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 03:32 AM
Maggie LaCoste

Re: Hotel in St. Emilion <BR> <BR>We have traveled this area extensively and would highly recommend the Hostellerie de Plaisance in St. Emilion. The rooms are charming and romantic and the restaurant is wonderful. We would have liked staying longer. FAX # is 57-74-41-11. They probably have an e-mail now, but did not when we last visited. Have a great trip!

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 03:36 AM
Maggie LaCoste

I forgot to add, if you are making the trip to Annecy, you may want to consider traveling up to Chamonix also. It is about another hour by train and is really a wonderful destination, allowing you to take the cable car over into Italy for lunch.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:36 AM
Andria

Thank you all for your suggestions. So far I have decided on Hotel du Palais de l'Isle in Annecy, I would like to take a day trip to Chamonix, but I'll only be in Annecy for two days, so we'll see on that one. Then off to St. Jean Cap Ferrat, I'm thinking about staying at Hotel Brise Marine. While I would like to stay at the Hostellerie de Plaisance in St. Emilion, I'm trying to stick somewhat to a budget, so I'm leaning more towards the Palais Cardinal. I really want to go wine tasting, but I feel bad that I won't be able to buy a lot of wine because it's too hard to bring home and I have no place to store wine for over six months anyway, so I don't want to buy more than I will drink in that time frame. How many bottles are in a case by the way?

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 04:42 AM
martha python

Twelve bottles in a case. Can't help you with the rest--I'm sure this answer provides a rahter embarrassing insight into my priorities.