Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel suggestions for Orvieto - and Etruscan stuff?

Old Sep 7th, 2020, 11:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, we are spending two weeks in Italy, we have hired a car which we shall take from Fiumicino Airport after spending three nights in Rome: then we drive to Tuscania where we shall spend three nights, taking in Cerviteri with its Etruscan Museum and Necropolis, we've done the tombs at Tarquinia before as well as the wonderful Etruscan Museum there - apparently there is quite a lot of Etruscan stuff in Tuscania, I know there is a museum, but does anyone know how we can see the actual tombs, old sites etc?

Anyway, I have been advised that Orvieto is also of interest and has interesting Etruscan stuff too - but I am struggling to find a decent hotel with parking, and I am looking to suggestions on here, we do like a nice place to stay - this is our first vacation this year so might as well make it special? Suggestions please?

Also any pointers on what to do there to see things Etruscan would be appreciated?

Last edited by patriciatbrogan; Sep 7th, 2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old Sep 8th, 2020, 07:21 AM

There are Etruscan sights and museums in many places throughout Tuscany and Umbria, as well as north into Emilia-Romagna and south all the way to Campagna.

Best Places to Find Etruscan Ruins in Italy - Melange Travel

http://www.wanderingitaly.com/histor...ilization.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations...truscan-sights

Orvieto is very interesting, but if you're using it as a base for excursions to other places every day you might be better off staying in a smaller town nearby with easier ingress/egress. Orvieto has a ZTL (limited traffic zone), and any hotel with parking will instruct you on the very specific route you need to drive to reach the property.

Here are 100+ properties in/around Orvieto that offer parking... We've stayed at and can recommend the Piccolomini, but we didn't have a car.

https://www.booking.com/searchresult...ty%3D2%3B&rsf=
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 06:14 PM

I would also recommend Palazzo Piccolomini. I stayed there years ago and was supposed to stay again this past April...Orvieto remains one of my favorites! The Picco!omini is actually located almost right at the top of the escalators coming up from the car park. We did daytrips out and about for 3 days and found it very easy! The car park was easy to use and drive in and out of. Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 06:32 PM

I would also recommend Palazzo Piccolomini. I stayed there years ago and was supposed to stay again this past April...Orvieto remains one of my favorites! The Picco!omini is actually located almost right at the top of the escalators coming up from the car park. We did daytrips out and about for 3 days and found it very easy! The car park was easy to use and drive in and out of. Buon viaggio!
Old Sep 9th, 2020, 07:23 PM

The Etruscan ruins in Fiesole were interesting.

Small village, not sure about ZTL. Plenty of accommodation options.

Only a short bus ride into Florence
Old Sep 10th, 2020, 12:42 PM

If the time in Tuscany is driven primarily by Etruscan sights and is limited to just 2 days/3 nights, I like the area around Pitigliano (which has an interesting history besides the Etruscans), Sovana (and the Vie Cave, roads carved into the tufa) and Sorano. There are several things to see within a small area, so time spent driving would be minimal. A year or so ago, friends did a horseback tour of some Vie Cave
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 06:16 AM

Wow Jean, those must have been some sure-footed horses! The via cave we walked in were sleep and slippery, but utterly fascinating. I also heartily recommend Pitigliano, and especially the archaeological park outside Sovana which has statues as well as via cave. We also took a peek at a tomb in Vetulonia and visited the rather large archaeological site at Populonia/Baratti, also highly recommended, but I think there might be limited time. Now that I have visited the Etruscan sites in southern Tuscany, I hope to explore those in Lazio. I need to revisit the Tuscan areas as well--we spent much of our time outdoors and it was often too nice to venture inside museums to see more artifacts.
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 07:55 AM

yorkshire...

Strange Places in Italy: Vie Cave, the Etruscan Cave Roads of Tuscany - GRAND VOYAGE ITALY
Old Sep 11th, 2020, 11:30 AM

It was great revisiting that trip, one of my most favorite of my visits to Italy, the via cave are quite diverse indeed. We walked into one outside of Pitigliano and encountered a disturbing but atmospheric sight of a dead fox rotting in a cave. It gave me the creeps!
Jean I wish I had that link when planning so I could have planned a circuitous walk.