Hotel suggestions for London in June?

Mar 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Hotel suggestions for London in June?

Hi everyone - I am going to London for 5-6 days the end of June with a friend. We are museum and shopping kind of people - not so much clubs or nightlife. Looking to spend $1000-$1500 USD for flight and hotel. Also, looking for a fantastic restaurant for my birthday dinner. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! I have a few guide books but know nothing can compare to the Fodors boards Thanks in advance - Meg
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Hi- You haven't really given us too much info to work with. LIKE- what city are you flying from in the US (??) What's your birthday dinner budget as well? How might try hotels.com or expedia/orbitz etc for cheap hotel packages or search for hotels within your budget, perhaps pick a few and then ask about those hotels?
Mar 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM

Depending on where you're traveling from, it will be hard to find a rate for 2 that's even close to the number you've posted. Given the strength of the pound, think of that rate as per person. London hotels are much more pricey compared to other major European cities.

As far as a fantastic restaurant, here's a link to a Brit food critic's web site. Here's his UK restaurants guide. http://www.michelinrestaurantsguide....estaurants.asp

I think he's eaten at about every restaurant possible, including the ones near where I live, in San Francisco.

You might also look at flight / hotel cominations on sites such as AAVacations, or whatever airline you choose.

Mar 4th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Depending on where you are flying from -- $1000+ could be the price of each of just your plane tickets.

Tell us more and we can give you some usefull help.

I'll assume you mean $1000-$1500 each and not total - right? Even so, where from?

And if you are on tight budgets definitely consider Priceline for your hotel.
Mar 4th, 2007, 08:51 AM

When someone says "FANTASTIC restaurant" I think about $500 per person. Is that about right? Or do you mean something good which won't cost over $100 a person?
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM

Assuming you mean $1500 per person you're going to have a lot of trouble doing anything for that. Airfare and a modest hotel will take all of that - if not more. Never mind local transit, sightseeing and meals and any shows or entertainment.

(The best fare Kayak is showing - even from NYC to London - is about $800 per person in June. From another US gateway will be at least a couple of hundrd more.)

As for a fantastic dinner - I agree - for that I would assume at least $200 plus just for that dinner. And TRULY fantastic (ie special wines, 3* restaurant) would be much more.
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - we are flying from NY, price is per person, most flights I've looked at are about $800 r/t, which leaves up to $700 for 4-5 nights. By "fantastic" I don't mean pricey (I've had some lousy dinners at $200 per), but rather something different than your typical NYC place. Maybe I should have said "What is your fave place to eat in London?" Rastaguy - thanks for the help - will def check out the site.
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM

Hi OC- on hotels dot com I saw rates for $1100 per person, which were flights on Air India (nonstop JFK to London) and modest hotels in London (mostly residential areas). That seems to fit the budget you give with money left over for that fabulous dinner??
Mar 4th, 2007, 10:47 AM

For that "fantastic" dinner unlike anything at home, I have two suggestions. The first is the oldest restaurant in London and it oozes with character. Food is very good and old fashioned "British" including a lot of games from their own farms and forests. It's Rules, near Covent Garden Market. A little pricey, but worth it in my opinion. Here's the website:
http://www.rules.co.uk/rest/rest.html

The other suggestion is much cheaper and a lot more casual. It also is very traditional "old British" food with a rustic interior and friendly young service. It is just off Kensington High Street, and called Maggie Jones.

Mar 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM

"I don't mean pricey (I've had some lousy dinners at $200 per), but rather something different than your typical NYC place" OK - what do you consider a typical NYC place? Just about any cuisine available in NY is also available somewhere in London. What sorts of things do you like?

How much DO you want to pay - there are thousands of restaurants in London but w/o at least a target number it is hard to give recommendations. "not pricey" really doesn't help too much.
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM

I followed other people's suggestions and bid for a London hotel room on Priceline. Study up on how to do it first at biddingfortravel.com. After a week of bidding, I got Hilton London Metropole for $80 a night in April. I think that's a good price for a double room in London, but I'll let everyone know if it was a good deal after I've stayed at the hotel.
Mar 5th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

NeoPatrick - thanks for the link - it's exactly what we were looking for! Leslie - thanks for the link too - was never too sure how to work Priceline. Everyone else - thanks for the helpful hints.