hotel suggestions for Italy***

Aug 28th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Patricia

hotel suggestions for Italy***

Hello everyone! I would like to inquire and gather suggestions (hopefully) from the experts about moderate to cheap hotels centrally situated in Rome, Florence, and San Gimignano.

While I realize I can check a book for the previous information or do a search, I also realize that part of the fun of this site is in gathering and cherishing the personal responses that one gets from people who are willing(in the moment) to share their memories and experiences with others.

So, please if you could share any ideas for hotels in the above areas in Italy, I would be eternally grateful. What were your experiences, why did you like it? Why would you recommend it?, etc...
A million thanks again!
Patricia

Aug 28th, 2001, 09:51 AM
xxx

Barf!

The most artistic justification for being too damned lazy to check other sources first I've ever seen. Credit for creativity as well as cojones.

Patricia, if you do a search on this website, or just go back quickly through a few pages of postings, you'll find all sorts memory sharing about hotels which you can cherish to your heart's content.

Aug 28th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Patricia

xxx,

Wow. Well I have never seen someone so easily moved to judge without really knowing all the circumstance. Which gendarme do I need to show my papers to in order to be able to ask this question? Is it censored? By you? Then by whom? (I am being sarcastic to emphasize my point).

Call it what you may, but you missed my point when I said that part of the fun of this board is in gathering and cherishing the personal responses that you get from others willing to share. In no way did I say that I will not spend time reading posts here. And in fact, quite often, I just read without posting.

I would like to then know what qualifies my being able to ask this question, if no question that has ever been asked is by your orders,never to be asked again--none of us would communicate I don't think. We can never utter a word that has not already been uttered or ask a question that has never been asked. So then, why share anything on a message board such as this? Anyway pax, xxx.....

These are just my musings...

Thanks again to anyone who has a legitimate answer to my post and who legitimately wants to help!
Patricia

Aug 28th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Susan

Sorry I can't help adding my two cents, though not about hotels.

I agree that one should search on previous threads and garner as much info as possible before posting ...

BUT

...there are many new and different people joining this forum every day and if you ask a question again or in a different way you could get an entirely different response. At least this question is more specific than "where should I go in Europe for my 50th birthday?", or "Driving from London to Venice to Barcelona -- how long will it take?" Now there's an unresearched question.

Aug 28th, 2001, 01:37 PM
marj

florence check our hotel casci (www.hotelcasci.com), it's a small family run, clean as can be, quiet, comfortable and in a good location. also include very nice b'fast buffet.

Aug 28th, 2001, 01:46 PM
Katherine

I agree with Hotel Casci, and Senora Lombardi will treat you like familia! One of the best things about the hotel is location. It is a couple blocks from the Acccdemia and and a couple from the Duomo. They also have free internet access right in the lobby and a beautiful new espresso machine.

Aug 28th, 2001, 01:51 PM
a regular

Patricia, I guess you are missing the point. When you ask a question that's been answered a zillion times over just because- "that part of the fun of this site is in gathering and cherishing the personal responses that one gets from people who are willing(in the moment) to share their memories and experiences with others."- you are not only showing to be a lazy lass, but you show little consideration for others's people time.

Aug 28th, 2001, 01:53 PM
Sean

Marj or Katherine, or whatever alias you are using, NO ADVERTISEMENT on this site. iT IS OBVIOUS Katherine is Marj. Only the owner will brag about "a beautiful new expresso machine". GO AWAY.

Aug 28th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Rex

How ridiculous suggesting that two totally unrelated posts about any given hotel represent "advertising".

Aug 28th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Diane

I can't believe you people could be so rude to Patricia. If you're not interested in helping her just don't anwser the post.

Patricia, I wish I had some personal suggestions for you but I do not and hope others will soon.

Have fun planning your trip.

Excuse the few on the site site for they must be having a bad day.

Aug 28th, 2001, 04:36 PM
Jo

Hi
I'm very confused, I would like to stay in Rome from the 5th of Oct.to the 13th.I would like to stay in a hotel from 90.00 to 100.00 a night.Some places are booked others are telling me to wait.Any suggestions,help,thank you

Aug 28th, 2001, 04:44 PM
jane

we stayed at a great hotel in florence--small, great breakfast and great location-the Hotel Balestri. Very inexpensive, also.

Aug 28th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Eileen

Patricia,

We stayed at Fontanella Borghese near the Spanish Steps and liked it very much. The owner also runs Due Torri which is in a quieter location, if that matters to you. We paid about $160.

May I suggest that you stay in the Chianti area instead of San Gimignano. We found that town to be overrun with tourists and very commercialized. We stayed in Castellina at Palazzo Squarcialupi(about $150 a night) - can't recommend it highly enough and Castellina is a charming little town.

Aug 28th, 2001, 05:07 PM
William

Welcome Patricia,
Who are some of these people??? If you wanted to just read about sites, and not communicate with others I guess all of us could just read travel books and brochures. I can't tell you how many times rude uneducated people pop up and become the sole dicator of this site, declaring what others may ask and do. They have no control in there lives and reach out (behind the computer) to tell others what they may ask or do, trying to gain a morsel of control. What pathetic creatures!! Fact is, this is a public site, you owe no apology for wanting up to date information from others who may have just freshly arrived from these destinations. These people are meek little pitiful weasels that must still live at home, or are beaten down and berated by their wives and husbands. Just small, small, extremely lonely and weak people. I can't help you as I have never been to Rome, and will be traveling to Egypt. I will go get my information else where where people are intellegent,enlightened and up beat! you should also. They probably only dream of leaving there trailers and mayonaise sandwiches. Right Barf Barf?? Too mach mayo correct? And you Regular, are probably marrying a cousin in Arkansa and put little french flags in your jelly sandwiches, knowing you will only ever be a regular, never really getting there. A couple of Springer regulars for all of you. Good Day!!

Aug 28th, 2001, 06:09 PM
topogigo

topping

Aug 28th, 2001, 07:01 PM
Karen

In Florence, we stayed at the Loggiato dei Serviti which is an antique filled small, very nice hotel located in a 16th Century building a few minutes from the Duomo. We enjoyed it. We had a room in the back which was very quiet, the rooms in the front have a nice view of the Piazza SS Annunziata.
In Chianti, we stayed in an upscale B&B which was called Borgo Argenina (found in Fodors book) It is located about 20 minutes north of Siena surrounded by a vineyard. The owner, Elena, was wonderful. Each morning she made us cake or pastry and helped us plan our day. There is no restaurant on the premises, but alot near by.

Aug 29th, 2001, 07:35 AM
marj

Excuse me Sean!!! I have no idea who katherine is. I stayed in the Casci last March with my husband and 2 children on our spring break vacation. I am not advertising but recommending a hotel that I thought was a great find. I thought the purpose of his board is to give personal opinions and experiences. I don't see how that could resemble advertising.

Aug 29th, 2001, 08:26 AM
Sarah

I am also traveling to Florence and I am overwhelmed by the amount of information that is out there about the hotel choice. I will be there from Oct.5 through Oct. 8 and I have contacted many hotels. The majority are full including Hotel Casci. I don't really just want to choose one at random, I would prefer someone's recommendation. Has anyone stayed or heard about Hotel Ginori? I need a double with a bathroom for around $100 to 125 USD a night. Thank you for any suggestions. Patricia, I hope you have a wonderful vacation and come back with lots of stories and memories of your own that you can share with us needy folk! Who needs those jerks anyway?

Aug 29th, 2001, 02:54 PM
aregular

Gosh Will, you hit it right on the head! I am so needy and pathetic, mmmmmm my jelly sandwich be tastin yummy.

Aug 29th, 2001, 04:09 PM
van

YES

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO