Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel suggestion in Siena ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-suggestion-in-siena-102200/)

jc Jan 25th, 2001 02:05 PM

Hotel suggestion in Siena ?

I am going to siena next month, I would like to have recommadations about hotel priced aound $100.00 or less. Thank you for any idea,

wendy Jan 25th, 2001 03:01 PM

Try: <BR>Cannon d'Oro, via Montanini,28 TF: 0577.271.177 <BR>or <BR>Antica Torre, Via Fera Vecchia, 324-40, F: 0577.222.255 <BR>and <BR>Piccolo Hotel Etruria, Via Donzelle 1-3, F: 0577.288.461

Lesli Jan 25th, 2001 03:15 PM

There's quite a bit of info already on this forum. Try a search for "siena hotel." <BR> <BR>I stayed at a hotel in Siena called the Alma Domus. It is run by nuns - very simple, and very inexpensive. There is an 11:30 curfew, and they speak only limited English. Rooms come with and without bathrooms. My room had only a sink (shower/toilet down the hall), but an amazing view of the terraced hillside and Duomo, complete with balcony! My friends across the hall had full en-suite facilities, but no view.

Lesli Jan 25th, 2001 03:26 PM

Info re the Alma Domus (from Tavelocity): <BR> <BR>Hotel Alma Domus <BR>Via Camporeggio 31 <BR>Siena 53100 <BR>Phone: 0577-44-177 <BR>fax: 0577-47-601 <BR> <BR>Down below San Domenico church in an untouristy part of Siena, this simple cheap hotel is run by the nuns of St. Catherine, so there's a certain monastic quality, but also a kindly hospitality and meditative calm. Many of the midsize rooms have balconies with great views of the Duomo across the little valley. The furnishings are a mix of modular and old-fashioned, with a few wrought-iron bed frames (but soft mattresses). The showers lack curtains, but they're clean and come with fuzzy towels. While you can receive calls only on your room phone, there are four pay phones. Guests share a common living room and a TV rooms--and a lamentable 11:30pm curfew. <BR> <BR>95,000L double; 120,000L triple; 145,000L quad Breakfast 10,000L. 40 units. No credit cards.

jc Jan 25th, 2001 04:37 PM

Thank you all for the help, I would definately try hotel Alma Domas. Since I haven't decided which day to reach Siena,do I have to book far ahead or I could just phone when I get to Italy? I plan to travel around Tuscany for 10 days at the end of Feburary. <BR>Thanks again, visit this website is always a great fun.

s.fowler Jan 25th, 2001 06:00 PM

This was the hotel we were considering for our trip that didn't materialize. It comes well recommended. http://www.emmeti.it/Welcome/Toscana.../index.uk.html <BR>It should fit in your budget.

Paige Jan 25th, 2001 11:31 PM

If you want to stay at Alma Domus, you probably need to book ahead as it's listed in several guidebooks. When I was there, none of the nuns spoke a lick of English.

Joyce Jan 26th, 2001 05:00 AM

We, too, stayed at the Alma Domus a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It is just a short walk down the hill from the bus stop - bus from Florence. We took train from Rome to Florence, then got on the bus just behind the station to Siena. While it was by far the cheapest hotel of our trip, our traveling companion declared it to be definitely the nicest. We were in the new annex, complete with bath, etc. You MUST book well in advance. Word of warning, they do not accept credit cards. The nuns did not speak English, but there was generally a man helper around who did. Forget breakfast there. Pretty bleak affair, but there are many cafes nearby with wonderful pastries, etc. <BR>

sally Jan 26th, 2001 09:48 AM

JC: I stayed at the Palazzo Ravizza, mentioned above, in 1998. Lovely place w/ pretty, comfy, but small room which contained nice bath. Our room was on an upper floor with a fabulous view over the countryside. The restaurant serves delicious, reasonably priced dinners. We loved the location w/in the walled older part of the city. If I remember correctly, the price was 80 USD/night. Check it out on website that S. Fowler gave you, if you haven't already. Regards, Sally PS Eyewitness Guides Florence and Tuscany recommend it.

Lesli Mar 20th, 2001 11:04 AM

To the top for Julie.