Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Suggestion in Paris for Single Traveler Please!

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:04 AM
Monica

Dear Fodorites,

I may be traveling to Paris for a week alone (late October or early November) and some suggestions. I’ve been to Paris before and have always wanted to make a short trip alone. I know it’s a pretty safe city and do not plan to be out late in the evenings. My husband isn’t thrilled and would prefer if I found someone to travel with me. I enjoyed the hotels I have stayed in previously, but would like to hear from other single travelers about their favorite hotels (and restaurants). I’m looking for an inexpensive place (500FF and under) with a private bathroom, preferably in the 5th or 6th Arrs. Thank you very much! Monica

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 10:05 AM
Monica

That's "and I would like some suggestions."

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 02:16 PM
Boots

Monica, I go to Paris three or four times a year and for the past 8 years have stayed at the Welcome Hôtel, 66, rue de Seine, in the 6th. The FAX is 011-33-1-40-46-81-59. It has only two singles, the cheapest, on the sixth floor, is 435 FF. I don't remember the price of the one I prefer on the fifth floor, but it is probably 40 FF higher. The location is the main attraction, though I get along very well with the personnel and that is another attraction. It is at the corner of the Blvd. Saint-Germain and the rue de Seine, so it is fairly noisy.
The neighborhood is busy most of the night, so it is interesting and I feel safe being out alone at any hour.
It is about three or four blocks from Aux Deux Magots. Aren't you the one who set up a meeting there a year ago which I missed by a couple of hours because I got in a bit late from Copenhagen?
I'll be at the Welcome from the 10th to the 14th when the singles are already booked--I have one of them. A double bed in another room is 565 FF. I don't know your dates, but if you want a single, you may have to book right away.
If you are interested and have questions, I will be glad to respond.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 02:33 PM
Monica

Hi Boots! Thanks for the information. I don't know yet when I'll be traveling; probably towards the end of October.

Yes, I'm the one that had the fodorites get together last May at Cafe Deux Magots. Sorry you missed it! Did you ever see the photo from it? I have it posted at my travel page, along with a bunch of others that I've had since then. It's at http://sites.netscape.net/monicapileggi/travel

I'll continue to check out other hotels while I try to narrow down my trip.

Old Jul 3rd, 2000, 02:42 PM
Diane

You might want to check out Hotel Champ de Mars, near rue Cler. I didn't stay there, but walked in to pick up their brochure. The hotel looks very nice and is affordable. Someone else on this board mentioned that she enjoyed staying there. Small rooms, but rooms are basically small in most Paris hotels.

www.adx.fr/hotel-du-champ-de-mars

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 04:46 AM
Monica

Hi Diane,

I know about Champs de Mars and also Leveque in the same area. I prefer to stay in either the 5th or 6th Arrs. because I felt that the 7th Arr. was too quiet in the evening for me. The other areas have a lot more night activities and we would walk to Notre Dame at night and over to the Louvre. I appreciate your suggestion!

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 07:47 AM
helen

Monica, My parents stayed at the Regent's Hotel in the 6th this past spring. They weren't traveling solo, obviously, but they thought it was very cozy (but not tiny, as "cozy" tends to mean in apartment ads!), and a great area (close to Jardin du Luxembourg, on rue Madame). I believe it was about 500 FF for a double w/ bath, so would probably fit nicely into your budget, and there's been quite a lot of positive feedback about it on the forum--I booked it for them based on the info here.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:11 AM
Monica

Thanks Helen, I'll check it out!

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:22 AM
don

I can second the recommendation for Regent's hotel. I stayed there lssy year. the location is wonderful and the hotel is fine.It was renovated recently so everything is quite fresh. Some rooms are bigger than others, so you might want to specify a bigger one ( same price). I paid 550 ff. with breakfast. for two.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:33 AM
marty

I third the Regent's! I think I am the one giving that positive feedback on the hotel. We stumbled into it when our original reservation at Clement was lost. We could not have been happier. The rooms are very large by French standards and, in some cases, by U.S. Standards. We were on the 4th floor where I think the largest rooms are. I liked the location very much. We were very close to St. Germaine and two metro stops were with a block or two. You can see it at www.rance-hotel-guide.com. It is just as it looks which is sometimes surprising! They also recommended a restaurant closeby-La Table du Perigord-where we were treated like house guests. They brought us samples from the kitchen, translated the menu, and did everything they could to make us happy.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 08:53 AM
Monica

Actually Don and Marty, I was just looking at the hotel at the stated web site! And I pulled out my Paris map. Great location! I also emailed the hotel to see what their price is for a single room.

Has anyone heard of Hotel du Mont Blanc? I had picked up their "information" card back in 1997, but never had the chance to see any of their rooms. It's on the tourisy rue de la Huchette where a lot of the Greek restaurants are located. It's a great location because of its proximity to the Siene and Notre Dame, etc. Am curious about this place because no fodorites has ever mentioned it. It looks like a nice place, according to the same web page as Regent.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Yakov

Monica - if you aren't needing quaintness, consider one of the many Ibis hotels around Paris. They are rather the equivalent of America's La Quinta type place - basic but clean and modern. The breakfast buffet is quite good, rates are very reasonable and there are numerous locations throughout Paris and the bainlieu. Owned by the Accor chain (also has Sofitel, Mercure, and others), i think you can find it at www.accor.com
Enjoy!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 06:59 AM
Monica

Thank you Yakov for your suggestion. I'll take a look at the website.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Lori

I would not compare Ibis with La Quinta - Ibis's rooms are glorified closets, they are that tiny. I'm used to European hotel rooms being small but the Ibis we stayed at in London for 1 night a few yrs back was beyond small. I would thinnk even 1 person would not find them very comfortable. The one we stayed at was clean and the breakfast was good (not included in room rate) but it was the smallest room we've ever been in. I'd investigate thoroughly before staying in one again. Check out Best Western's site - their international division. They have many hotels in Paris that bear the BW affiliation and many are very charming. We've stayed in several - they vary according to price, location, etc. but they are individual hotels, not like the motel chain in the U.S. Give them a look-see, they are much better than Ibis in my estimation.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 09:45 AM
EEmailee

Regent looks lovely though I did not stay there; in Paris last months sans spouse but with 12yo. Felt safe but I did have one slightly scarry encounter with a mentally ill young man who intentionally whacked his head into mine; also saw him the previous day doing similar things. Paris is so lovely that it is easy to forget that dangerous people are everywhere. I would suggest you take a Paris walking tour (thats the name of the co & they have an excellent web site); we did the Monmartre one & it was great. You will also meet nice english speaking tourists on it if you are getting lonely. have fun! Buy a phone card in paris (Kortel) & call your husband daily for a few dollars.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Monica

Well, I tried to get onto the web site that Yakov recommended, but it's all in French and I couldn't decipher it. I think I've narrowed it down to several hotels to choose from, to include the Regent, Balcons, maybe Mont Blanc, etc.

A phone card is a good idea. I was thinking of going to a cyber cafe to "call" home. Never been to one before. Is it expensive to use, say 15 minutes on line?

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 03:03 PM
Emily

If you go to regents its not too far from rue domat location of Clickside Cafe: really only soda & computers but very pleasant w/english keyboards 7 helpful staff. It costs about one franc a minute or about $10 an hour. I guess less than phone but not really cheap.
I bought my phone card at a telephone store (cell phones). Ask them to explain it; I had trouble at first figuring out what digits I needed for overseas.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 04:30 PM
Boots

Monica, according to the France Magazine that came recently, people can "surf the Web or check their e-mail while waiting for their train . . . for free at several Metro stations, including Denfert-Rochereau, Luxembourg, Port-Royal and Châtelet-Les Halles."

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 03:56 AM
Monica

Hi Emily, I had a phone card back in 1997. I didn’t use it all, so I kept with me when I returned to France in 1999. For some reason it didn’t work. Maybe it expires after a while. I’ll probably get one and try out Boots’ suggestion!

Boots, is that the magazine that is issued by the French Tourist Office? If so, I’ll have to get one. Thanks for the information.

Here’s a new question, but I may post it separately later if I don’t get a response here. When’s the best time to go if you had the choice from Mid October to mid November? Weather wise, flying standby, better hotel prices.