Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel St Thomas D'Aquin or Hotel College de France?

Hotel St Thomas D'Aquin or Hotel College de France?

Jan 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Hotel St Thomas D'Aquin or Hotel College de France?

After too many hours of pouring over past posts and reviews on Tripadvisor, I think one of these two hotels would suit us best. This will be our third trip to Paris, and we stayed in the 7th both previous trips. We would love to be able to walk to more sites this time. Are these hotels about equal in that regard?

The price would be similar because we'd probably have to go with the superior double at the Hotel College de France if we stayed there. The main thing that I can see it has over the Saint Thomas D'Aquin is the ability to walk to the RER. I assume you can't do the same from the Saint Thomas D'Aquin? Is proximity to the metro about the same at both hotels?

Jan 30th, 2007, 09:18 AM

I've stayed at St Thomas and right near the other, coincidentally, and I would say it really depends what you want to be close to as to which is more convenient. If you've been there, I guess you should know, though, and have a map -- The College de France is closer to the islands, the other is closer to the Musee d'Orsay and St Germain, the Tuileries, place de la Concorde, Petit Palais, etc.

sure, you can walk to the RER from HOtel St Thomas d'Acquin, but it's a different line. It's the stop at the Musee d'Orsay. The other hotel is closer to an RER stop, though, and of course, that line goes to the airport and maybe some other places you want to go.

The metro stop is closer at College de France, it's only about two blocks away (to either Cluny or Maubert). At St Thomas d'Aquin, it's about four blocks (St Germain stop). HOwever, the COllege de France is also not far from St Michel, which is a different line than Cluny, whereas the other hotel is really only close to one line.
Jan 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information!
Jan 31st, 2007, 04:13 AM

I can only comment on the College du France. I've stayed there twice and enjoyed the hotel as well as the neighourhood. It's tucked on a side street so I found it nice and quiet to sleep at night.
Jan 31st, 2007, 05:28 AM

I stayed at th Hotel de College du France last September, and from what I remember, it's quite close to everything, and if it's not, it's close to the metro stops to get there.

I walked pretty much everywhere, taking the metro for futher off spots like Eiffel, Arc du Triomp and Champs d'Elysees, for example. I was pleasantly surprised to see how short of a walk it was to Notre Dame and the Seine.

I took the RER upon arrival, and remembered a post somehwere to go to the front of the cars on the RER train because it's closer to the Blvd St. Germaine/Cluny exit (where the back of the RER train will be closer to the Cite metro, thus a longer walk to the hotel). It really is just a short walk to the hotel from the RER/Cluny-Sorbonne metro.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! That info on the RER could prove very useful at some point.

I tried to book the College de France, but of course, it was booked for our nights in May. I have a reservation at the St. Thomas D'Aquin right now. I'm sure will be fine, but the other location really did seem better.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM

Hotel St Thomas d'Aquin isn't really walkable from the RER - you could transfer to metro Line 4 at St Michel then walk from St Germain des Pres about 400 meters.

College de France is about 500 meters walk from the RER at St Michel.

It would probably be fun to stay in a completely different area. Both locations are very good for sightseeing.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 05:12 PM

Well, it took me too long to post - I see your choice has been made! You'll enjoy the location in the 7th - it's close to a lot of shops and restaurants around St G. des Pres.
Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

I still appreciate the information, Travelnut!

Search this Thread