Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Squacialupi Castellina in Chianti (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-squacialupi-castellina-in-chianti-520409/)

RichardJ Apr 11th, 2005 01:27 PM

Hotel Squacialupi Castellina in Chianti

We will be staying at Hotel Squarcialupi in Castellina mid May for 4 nights.We have been offered a twin standard room on the top floor with a beamed ceiling or a junior suite one floor below for 15 euros more. We would love the extra room of the suite but are concerned we will be disturbed by people walking overhead. There is nothing worse than hearing annoying footsteps above. I presume the floors are tiled so high heels would be a problem. Being very light sleepers, we are leaning toward the standard room to assure ourselves of quiet. Has anyone stayed at this hotel to give us some advice. The hotel wants an immediate response as to our selection.

Gree65 Apr 11th, 2005 02:48 PM

We stayed there in june and are staying there again this weekend. The hotel was extremely quiet when we were there, except that we faced the street and there was really loud singing from the bar across the street. It was actually pretty funny, but I would recommend staying on the back side of the hotel. We will be staying in the Junior Suite this time facing the countryside. If you are going to stay in the standard, make sure you are facing the back of the hotel as the air conditioning is not great and you will likely want to sleep with the window open or you may end up with noise from the bar.

RichardJ Apr 11th, 2005 03:02 PM

I booked this room ast October and failed to ask for a room on the back side. Now, there are no rooms in the rear for our stay May 16-20. Hopefully we can sleep with the window closed in mid-May. Do you think it's important to be on the top floor to avoid hearing people above?

Gree65 Apr 13th, 2005 01:42 AM

Sorry for the delay-been busy getting ready to leave. We were on the top floor last time-I can't remember which room, but it was the third floor at the end of the hall facing the front. Huge room for a standard! I will; be there tomorrow and could tell you better then, but if you are concerned at all, and it sounds like you are, I would stick with the top floor. I think the bar was noisy that night because there was a soocer match-world cup maybe? I can't remember. But the other 4 nights it was very quiet and cool overnight. We were there in the middle of June, so given the average temps for the area in May you should be ok even with the windows closed. Overall it is a wonderful little town and the staff at the hotel was great! they really helped up as our luggage was lost on the trip over (that's another story for another time. I hope this helps!

Gree65 Apr 13th, 2005 01:42 AM

Sorry for the spelling errors!

RichardJ Apr 13th, 2005 11:16 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, especially being so busy getting ready for your trip. I have emailed Irene in reservations several times and mentioned all of my concerns. She said our standard room is the furthest room from the bar so it sounds like it might the room you had--on the 3rd floor at the end. I usually sleep with the windows shut to avoid mosquito bites so unless there is a sudden heat wave, we should be happy ( plus I always sleep with ear plugs) She said she will let me know if a jr suite opens up on the back side but after hearing from you, I think we will be pleased with what we have. I can't tell you how reassuring and helpful your comments have been. I have a list of a few restaurants in Castellina, but would love to read your trip report to know about some specific must-sees. I have been to Tuscany several times but my friend has never been to Europe so I want her to see the special highlights. Thanks again for your help.

sky1 Aug 10th, 2005 01:20 PM

You mentioned that you had a list of restaurants in Castellina. Would you share them with me? Thanks! Also which room did you have at the hotel? We are going there in Oct.

RichardJ Aug 13th, 2005 05:59 PM

When we checked into the Squarcialupi, Irene (at the front desk) gave us a map of the town with the restaurants listed on the back. We only stayed 4 nights so we hardly made a dent in the total list of the 32 listed in the area.
1. Albergaccio (expensive and ok but nothing special. Trying too hard to be fancy)
2. La Torre (2 min walk from the hotel--great ambiance and good food)
3. Le Tre Porte--5 min walk with menu similiar to La Torre--quite good)
4. Al Gallopapa--VERY expensive with extensive wine list and haute cuisine--Irene does not recommend this one--we opted to skip it although many Fodorites have loved it--around the corner from the hotel)
5. Il Tinello--about a 10 min drive in the middle of nowhere--roadside restaurant. The most amazing steak with truffles I have ever eaten. I wish we had tried this one the first night so we could have gone back again and again. Irene said the pasta with truffles is to die for.
We had a standard room with two beds on the top floor at the far end over over breakfast room. I tried to get a jr suite on the back side but the hotel was booked at the time. Fortunately it was cool and we closed the window at night which avoided noises from the pedestrian street. I have two photos of the room and one of the front of the hotel which I could email to you. Be prepared--the beds are not comfy but adequate.