Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Spring House or Sant'Anselmo (ROME) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-spring-house-or-santanselmo-rome-241974/)

BTD Jul 22nd, 2002 07:10 AM

Hotel Spring House or Sant'Anselmo (ROME)

can anyone advise for or against either of these hotels?<BR><BR>I first reserved the HOtel Spring House - thought it looked nice and price is 150,00 a night.<BR>Then I read here that the area it's located is not that good/convenient and that their staff hours are not that nice either.<BR><BR>So then I started searching again and this is how I can across Sant' Anselmo for 160,00 a night.<BR><BR>I wanted to be somewhere close to restaurants/shops (for nighttime ease) but have no idea about Italy's geography (first timer).<BR><BR>Any feedback is appreciated.<BR>and yes, I have checked MANY other hotels - either booked or too expensive.<BR>I'm trying to stay under 150,00 if possible.<BR><BR>Thanks for all the help<BR>

fred Jul 22nd, 2002 07:32 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel Springhouse. It is 5 minutes walking distance to the Vatican. There are several resturants within walking distance and we went shopping on Saturday night and walked for hours. We had no problem with the staff, they were very nice.

Leslie Jul 22nd, 2002 07:45 AM

I don't know either of these hotels but can say that being close to the Vatican doesn't put you near the major tourist sights in the historic center of Rome.<BR><BR>I highly recommend you go to the bookstore and look at some maps of Rome to get oriented to the city layout and the locations of major sights. Then use www.venere.it or www.itwg.com to locate a hotel on the map. In Rome location is important because it's really a walking city. Metro is limited and taxis aren't all that easy to get. <BR><BR>You'll find many less expensive hotels near the Termini (main rail station) but this area can be a bit seedy. Recommend you find a nice 2 star hotel in the areas of Campo di Fiore, Pantheon (Piazza della Rotonda) or Piazza Navona. If you do a search on this forum for "Rome Hotels" you'll find many recommendations. Best of luck.

sandi Jul 22nd, 2002 10:17 AM

I stayed there with my family for several nights in 2000. It was our first time to Rome and I didn' really have a feel for where I should stayed when I made the reservations. We stayed there because we wanted to get up early and be first in line to get into the Vatican, which we were.<BR><BR>While it is not centrally located, you can (and we did) walk absolutely everywhere. We did not miss a thing because of where the hotel was located. It's obviously up to you and your personal preference. The other thing was the price..it was in our budget. We had no problems w/ the staff our their hours. Just don't eat at the hotel.

BTD Jul 22nd, 2002 05:32 PM

thanks for the replies<BR>based on what i've read i'm trying not to stay too close to the termini stations since it sounds like it's not the "nicest" areas to be in at night.<BR><BR>of course being closer to sites/etc is great but i'm willing to walk and save some money on the room.<BR><BR>thanks for the replies.<BR>anyone else?<BR><BR>