Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Smeraldo, Campo de Fiori, or Margutta?

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Shoshana

We were quoted similar rates in all of these Rome hotels. Which one would be the best choice for location, accomodations and overall appeal? <BR>

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:18 AM
gina

Ok, I'll answer this one since I've stayed at the Margutta and the Campo dei Fiori. In 1997 I stayed at the Margutta in the middle of the summer. Our room was hot, tiny and dark. No air conditioning. Had to open the windows at night and the street noise (readcooters) made it impossible to sleep. However, the location of the Margutta can't be beat. Very close to the Spanish Steps and the subway. Stayed at the Campo dei Fiori in 2000. Due to my husband's heart condition had to stay at the Campo dei Fiori's apartments about a block away. Again, no air conditioner, no elevator (which the Margutta does have). The noise from the Campo dei Fiori made it impossible to sleep, but there were some great restaurants and the roof terrace at the main hotel of the Campo dei Fiori was spectacular if you don't have a coronary climbing 6 flights of stairs. The real problem is that in spite of what you may read here, the Campo dei Fiori isn't all that close to anything except the Piazza Navona and a very long walk to the Vatican. It depends on what time of the year you are going, of course but here is my strongest advice. Stay in the most comfortable hotel you can afford near the Spanish steps and if it's summer be sure to have air conditioning. You are much closer there to public transportation that will take you anywhere you want to go. I'm sure there will be many people that will not agree with me, but after having been there twice in the summertime, that is my humble opinion. As far as overall appeal of just the buildings themselves, the Margutta and the Campo dei Fiori are about the same. I think the Margutta had a slightly better breakfast. Good luck!

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 01:16 PM
JB

Having been to Roma three times, I personally feel like the Campo de' Fiori area could not be more central. I love that area - feels like the center of the universe to me! And being able to start every morning off with a little excursion through the Pantheon and coffee on the square in front of it (a 5-min. walk from the Campo de' Fiori hotel) is an added bonus. Takes about 10 minutes to get to the Campidoglio/Roman fora or to the Trevi Fountain from there, and you're literally at one of the coolest squares in the city if not the country if not the world (okay, I'm biased I'll admit it!). And then there's Piazza Navona! <BR> <BR>I must also say I'm not a big fan of the Spanish Steps area - lots of tourists (as there are in my area) but also lots of very expensive shopping and boutiques, etc., which is definitely not my scene. I much prefer the little antique shops and furniture repair shops and hole in the wall restaurants and amazing churches and winding streets of the Centro Storico. (All personal preference, so you'll have to judge for yourself what you would like.) <BR> <BR>However, I totally agree with Gina's assessment of the Hotel Campo de' Fiori. Right in the middle of everything and quaint but loud! I stayed there in '97 and had a rough time sleeping, but the rooftop terrace is spectacular and I love Rome so much I didn't want to sleep...well not too much, anyway! <BR> <BR>So, my bottom line is to recommend the Campo de' Fiori AREA, but not necessarily that hotel. I've stayed at Hotel Navona (and loved it), at Hotel Piccolo (and not loved it - also loud and owners WEIRD), and then at the Campo de' Fiori (aspects of it were great, some not so great.) <BR> <BR>So far I've ignored the Smeraldo part of your post re. that area because I haven't stayed there. I'm guessing it would also be loud due to the scooters (almost all parts of Rome are) but maybe the vocal noise from the Campo wouldn't be quite as loud down the street as it is at the CDF hotel, but can't say for sure though. Whatever you choose have fun in Rome and Buona Fortuna on your search! JB

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Maira

Try Hotel Forte, heard very good things from other posters. The hotel is on pedestrian street, on Via Margutta, Spanish Steps area. I cancelled a trip three days prior to departure and the owners, not only were truly understanding, but sent me the most beautiful message regarding the passing of my father. <BR> <BR>http://www.venere.it/roma/forte <BR>About $90/double with breakfast. <BR>Better yet, log into Ed and Jane's site and you'll find invaluable advice on traveling and lodging in Rome. http://www.twenj.com

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:05 PM
jk

We stayed at the Smeraldo in July. It wasn't noisy at all, but we had the windows closed and air conditioning on. The hotel was exactly what we wanted -- inexpensive and centrally located, but clean and friendly (no-frills, though). I thought the location was great. We traveled with two little kids and walked everywhere.