Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Silvio (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-silvio-543041/)

taffym Jul 10th, 2005 01:23 PM

Hotel Silvio

Has anyone who has been to Bellagio familiar with the Hotel Silvio? It also has a restaurant associated with it called Albergo Ristorante Silvio. We were booked in 2004 to stay there @ 85 Euro's per night for a dbl w/ breakfast, but cancelled our trip (they were very gracious & refunded our checks). It seems pretty on the web site & a very good deal but would love to get additional input on the hotel & or restaurant.

Patrick Jul 10th, 2005 02:04 PM

I loved the restaurant there. They talked us into having plain spaghetti for a first course. When they lifted the cover off the plate, I nearly fell off my chair from the wonderful aroma of the freshest tomatoes and basil. It was truly the BEST spaghetti I've ever eaten -- then the grilled fish -- WOW.

The only problem is, it's a fair walk out of town, and a rather dangerous one as you have to go through a very narrow "underpass" sort of tunnel that cars fly through. I'm not sure how you'd survive if you happened to be going through there at the exact time a car came around the blind corner and plowed through it. We took a taxi to Silvio, and then couldn't get a taxi back for about an hour. But there are worse things than getting stuck sitting my the moonlit lake waiting for a taxi. I wouldn't stay there without a car, and then that brings up the problem of parking for the boats if you have a car.

BTilke Jul 10th, 2005 02:14 PM

Ditto for the car issue. When I was staying at the Florence in Bellagio, I asked about going up to Silvio's for dinner. It's not that far away and I told the Florence manager that I wouldn't mind the walk. Her eyebrows shot WAY up and she shook her head at the thought of walking along that road at night or even at dusk (no sidewalk + Italian drivers=bad idea).

Patrick Jul 10th, 2005 02:17 PM

Exactly. I failed to mention that the guy at Hotel Du Lac said "I forbid you to walk there!" Ah if only that one villa wasn't in the way of a lakeside walk to the place. . .

chicagolori Jul 10th, 2005 02:28 PM

Tripadvisor.com has quite a few positive reviews. The search on this site brings up some posts but most are about the restaurant. (which gets great reviews by the way)

Try Trip Advisor if you havent already.

Jean Jul 10th, 2005 08:00 PM

Ditto all the comments about walking between the Silvio and Bellagio.

You might consider Residence La Limonera (www.residencelalimonera.com) which are apartment accommodations in the center of Bellagio. A studio apartment is 100 euros a night through September and 60 euros a night after October 1st (rises to 80 euros a night during Christmas/New Years). No breakfast included.

scrb Mar 11th, 2010 07:32 PM

Has anybody tried staying here recently?

Their web site mentions a free shuttle to town, maybe because of the walking issues?

Found the hotel through TA, which has it still very highly rated despite the cool reception here.

Price differential for lake view is a lot, like 50 Euro a night compared to the other hotels.