Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   hotel savoy--prague (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-savoy-prague-356800/)

rhkkmk Sep 9th, 2003 07:13 PM

hotel savoy--prague

i have seen comments on this hotel in the past...can you let me know what your experiences were at this hotel again?? thanks... location, services, comfort, restaurant....restaurants in the neighborhood...garage....any other interesting tidbits
thanks again
bob

Intrepid Sep 10th, 2003 01:08 AM

Have stayed at the Savoy several times, the last was November 2002. It is up near the Castle area which is easily walkable (all downhill) from the hotel or two tram stops away (the tram stops directly in front of the hotel and the front desk has tickets for sale). The hotel is very quiet and very comoftable...(ask for one of the larger rooms up on the 8th floor which overlook the street). The rooms are large and the baths are also large, have separate showers and are loaded with marble. Last I stayed the contents of the in-room minibar were complimentary.

The dining room is quite elegant and refined and serves very good food although you do not have to dress up to eat there or to stay in the hotel. The last time I arrived I was in road leathers with a backpack and, as usual, the staff treated me as they always do, with deference and respect and their usual friendliness.

The included buffet breakfast has always been extensive. Concierge services are very helpful: books tickets, arranges transportation, etc., and will do so in advance by e-mail when asked to do so. I believe there is garage parking available. An ATM is a few steps away from the front door (at a local bank at the corner of the street).

This is NOT a hotel you'll want to stay in if you are looking to be in the center of things such as Wenceslas Square and its plusses and mimuses. It takes about ten minutes by tram to get down to Mala Strana. There are few restaurants in the immediate area of the hotel..a few shops only. A short walk or tram ride would be required for such.

It seems as if the majority of folks who have posted here wouldn't consider it either because of the cost or because they seem to feel it is too far removed from the more usual beaten path. It is one of my favorite hotels but obviously, I am biased.

rhkkmk Sep 10th, 2003 07:13 PM

thank you for the thorough report...it is just what i was looking for....i don't mind the tram ride so it should be perfect....i would not like to have to walk up the hill however...lazy...

Intrepid Sep 11th, 2003 12:40 AM

The trams are frequent...you won't have to walk up the hill if you don't have to. I should have been more specific about the restaurant situation. There are several small ones within walking distance but I have never eaten in any of them. In terms of transport, if you are staying several days and intend to use public transport a great deal I suggest you consider purchasing the Prague (Welcome) Card which includes unlimited transportation on the trams, Metro, and busses. I don't think the hotel sells them but they can be obtained at one of the tourist offices (there is one in the Old Town Square near the astrological clock). Regardless of wherever you stay I hope you enjoy Prague as much as I do.

xnyxny Sep 11th, 2003 11:10 AM

Intrepid,

Does the Prague welcome card require a photo ID? Should we bring a passport size photo for this welcome card? thanks

Intrepid Sep 11th, 2003 11:34 AM

No, the Prague Welcome Card does not require a picture...I don't even remember if the tourist office required me to show a passport to prove any sort of "tourist" status. It is similar to the Munich Welcome Card and others..no pictures...just an expiration date..and if on public transport and are asked by an inspector to produce a ticket you simply show them the card. In that particular instance, it might be wise to have your passport or a copy of the first page or other form of ID handy so you can prove that the name on the card (cannot even remember if that was required!) is the same as the person (you) using it.

Christina Sep 11th, 2003 11:51 AM

I don't know what the Prague Welcome Card is, but it sounds like something for tourists. Perhaps it is similar to Paris, where you pay a lot more for a tourist card when there is a regular one available. Just buy a regular Prague transportation pass, they are really cheap. They have 1, 3, 67 and 15 day passes that cover unlimited transportation on metro/bus/tram. No photo is required, it's just a paper ticket (which you MUST be sure to validate by composting the first time you use it as it is good for seven days from first use; you must be sure to have it on you in case a transport "police" asks you to show it).

A 7 day pass is only about US$8-10 or so, as I recall (I think about 250 CK), a 3 day pass is 180 CK.

Personally, I think the Savoy is in a rather inconvenient area due to the tram issue, but would be okay if you only wanted to come and go once a day. However, trams and buses don't run that frequently at night in many places in Prague and I've waited 30-45 min at night sometimes, especially later on.

So, I would ask Intrepid to verify how frequently they run at night if you plan to use that service. that is not a short walk down the hill from up there. I know it is supposed to be a nice hotel (it does look great from what I've seen) and it is pleasant up there, I just think you should realize what you're getting into.

Intrepid Sep 11th, 2003 03:18 PM

The trams run late into the evening and as the previous poster apparently didn;t read my first response about this being a hotel you will not want to stay in if you feel the need to stay in the middle of the more touristed area. Obviously there are many considerations one has to make when choosing where to stay and whether or not to even use public transport in the first place.
Unlike a "basic" transportation pass, the Prague Card does offer admissions to some of the major sites such as all of the castle areas. I'll leave it at that and again hope you enjoy your trip as I am certainly not into time-wasting pissing contests, sorry.

rhkkmk Sep 13th, 2003 08:12 PM

again thanks for the valuable info...i am disappointed with the distance the hotel is away from the "action", but we can survive the short ride each day...we are not ones to return to our hotel 3 or 4 times during the day when visiting a city....
as i did priceline for this hotel, the money i have saved (2/3rds of the nitely fee) will offset anything expended otherwise....we also will enjoy the old world atmosphere in luxuary away from the madening crowd...

leslie Sep 13th, 2003 09:01 PM

The Prague Card is well worth the money for about $10. For 3 consecutive days, you will have unlimited access to the trams, buses and metro, along with free entrance into all of the national museums and Hradcany. The card also provides discounts into other venues at a percentage off. You can pick it up at the Tourist Office next to the Astrological Clock as Intrepid mentioned before. The card is not dated, but the "clock" begins the first time you have it punched on the tram, bus or metro or at the first venue you enter.