Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere,-Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere-Rome? It looks really nice but I would like some comments if anyone has any.
Thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM

I lived in Rome last year. Walked by and peeked, for future reference. It looks really nice, and has positive comments on Slow Travelers and other boards. We made a mental note that it would be a nice place to stay in the future. Trastevere has a villag-y feel, yet is in the historic center, a walk or a tram ride from anywhere you would want to go. The best of all worlds.
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:34 PM

We had a great stay in June 2004. they were very accomodating as we had some airline trouble and the breakfast was fabulous! We really liked the feeling of being in a working neighborhood, but it was our first trip, so I don't have anything to compare it to. The rooms, as in any big city, are rather small, but were fine for us-very clean and nicely decorated. It was very quiet at night even though there is a lot going on in the surrounding neighborhood. If you decide to stay there, get very good directions if coming in by car, or better yet take a cab. It is difficult to find the first time there.
We would have booked there again in April, but the rates in April are much higher than what we paid in June, so we are going to try a different place-we may be back to the Santa Maria next time-we'll see!

Oh, in that neighborhood, Dar Poeta is a great little pizza place-I think we were two of the few nonlocals there on the night we went and it was packed!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Oh, check out tripadvisor as there are now well over a hundred reviews-there were only a few before we went last year if that tells you about it's popularity!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded - I think I will book there.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:47 AM

I have a friend that lived in Rome and has traveled back several times with friends and family and has always stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria. It came highly recommended to me by someone who knows Rome very well, so I will most likely stay there when I visit this June.
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 04:15 AM

I waa just speaking to someone the other day who is Italian American and spend visits Rome often and stays at this hotel. He was commenting on what a great place it was.