Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel Saint-Louis Saintonge in the Marais

Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Good afternoon

Any opinions on this hotel, or, its location at 16, rue de Saintonge in the third? It appears to be roughly a half a mile walk to the Place des Vosges (10 minutes), a 5 minutes walk from Jacques Genin (chocolate), a 5 minute walk in the other direction from Breizh Cafe (good reviews), and a ten minute walk from the Musee Carnavalet.

It also appears to be a sister hotel to the Hotel Saint-Louis en l'isle. Recent full renovations, three stars.

Thank you.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 02:50 PM

That is about how far from Place des Vosges, it's 10 minutes if you really walk fast, but it is about a half mile. It's closer to the Filles de Calvaire or Saint Sebastien metro stops, about 4-5 blocks.

I thought of staying there once but thought its location was a little inconvenient for what I wanted. I prefer to be within 2 blocks of a metro stop but it was probably that the reviews on Tripadvisor didn't exactly make it sound so great. I also don't like hotels with tile floors and not even an area rug, at least outside some hot area like Provence or Spain. I presume you are thinking it is improved since all those comments and I hope it has as they claim to be fully refurbished. The rooms are obviously real small as the wall is only about a foot from the end of the bed in the photos, and the hotels I usually stay at in Paris have larger rooms than that. It would be okay for me at that size only for a day or two.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:03 PM

Personally I think you could do a bit better-but don't know your budget. For location I would try to get closer to the river in the 4th. It will get you closer to better metro and bus lines too.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'd spend 250E a night without giving it much thought, more if some place was really special - but I'll certainly spend less if a place is still nice.

Apparently they just finished a full renovation. The TA reviews aren't great but they are pre-reno with one exception which is a good one. The photos of the reno look nice.

I wanted to stay at their sister hotel on Ile St. Louis but they are completely full and referred me to this one and I thought I'd check to see what others thought.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

ps. this is only two nights.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 04:44 PM

I like that location a lot but know nothing about the hotel itself. The area is a bit more hip than closer to the river. Good shops.
Feb 23rd, 2014, 08:39 PM

For two nights it would be fine if you are prepared to walk a bit. I lived in the 3rd and always wanted to be a bit closer to the river for connections=but I am kind of lazy and don't love to walk-so you can judge better for yourself.
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:03 AM

I was too sleepy last night to phrase what jpiie wrote very well.

This area is roughly half way between Bastlle and Republique. It is an emerging fashion center, but when I have walked around there, I have seen more ateliers than boutiques, though it has been a couple of years.

You can catch the 96 bus at Filles du Calvaire all the way to pretty much everything in the 3rd, 5th, and 6th, perhaps changing at Hotel de Ville for the Louvre etc. there is another good bus from Republique to the Seine, maybe. 29. But neither of these is right outside your door, and even the nearby Metro lines require changes to get to the more popular spots, if I am not mistaken. It is an area here I personally would use some sort of pass rather than buying carnets because you are going to pass through lots of places where you will want to get off the bus and walk around.

Daily shopping on the rue de Bretagne would be easy.
Feb 24th, 2014, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

I am now looking at the Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais.

I should mention I usually stay in the 5th or 6th, and once in the 1st.

My two favorite hotels are Hotel des Grands Hommes and Hotel Mansart.

I wanted to branch out in location a little this time, hence, either Ile St. Louis or the Marais.

Thanks again to all.
Feb 24th, 2014, 05:39 PM

I think you will love that location-really right near everything.
Feb 25th, 2014, 03:10 AM

Caron de Beaumarchais is in a very central but busy location. I have walked into the lobby for a brochure because we considered staying there. We might well if we were only in Paris for a few days, but we continue to rent apartments for our usual stay of a week.
Feb 25th, 2014, 08:21 AM

I stayed at the Caron. My room was very small and was right off the lobby. Breakfast room is in the basement. Loved the location, close to museums and restaurants. I stayed there for just over two weeks.
Feb 25th, 2014, 08:25 AM

I don't think noise would be a big problem is they have double paned windows and/or air conditioning (if you are going in summer) so that you won't need to keep windows open. It also sounds like from TA that they have some rooms with balconies on the upper floors-so that sounds nice.
Feb 25th, 2014, 09:08 AM

Flygirl:

Throwing out another possibility:

http://www.saintlouisenlisle.com/

The hotel was refurbished recently and looks like it could be a good option for you.
Feb 25th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi weekender

I think that was the one that sent me to the title hotel. I think.

Anyway, the Caron is full, and I am enquiring with the Bourg Tibourg. It sounds fantastic but TINY rooms - and not cheap for those tiny rooms. I also read the lighting isn't great in the rooms, either. Having stayed at a designer hotel before (in Hvar, Croatia) I know that pretty but useless can be a real PITA. In that hotel, I had to stand in the bathtub to put on makeup because that is where the (klieg) lighting was. Gentle mood lighting over the sink.

I could just go back to one of my favorites but I really want to try other parts of town...
Feb 25th, 2014, 09:37 AM

The Caron has extremely small rooms and is on a very busy, noisy corner, I don't think it would be that desirable, anyway. Sure, it's "cute", but I wouldn't stay there due to its location. There are tons of people right outside the front door, for example, due to its location.

You know, there aren't a lot of great hotels in the Marais IMO, that's what I ran up against when I wanted to stay in that area for a change. I ended up at the 4* Hotel Villa Beaumarchais in-between the St Sebastien and Chemin Vert metro stops. I really liked it, one good thing was it is on a real small side street and it was very quiet. I also got a good deal on it on booking.com, about half off -- it wouldn't be worth the rack rate IMO. The room was cute and there were some tripadvisor complaints about it, mainly the run or furniture was a little worn, which was true, but the room was decent size and everything worked. And it was quiet (if you get an inner room overlooking the atrium), which is really important to me. Good location. this is it http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/vill...ais_paris.html

I got it for around 175 euro a night a couple years ago, but I think it was in July when rates may be lower than Spring or June. Booking shows it around 200 euro for the std double in June, as does their website. But the same room at end of July is about half the rate. That's when I like to go a lot to get good deals.
Feb 25th, 2014, 09:46 AM

I love the location of the Beaumarchais--central, convenient yet quiet. Once rented an apartment very near there.
Feb 25th, 2014, 12:11 PM

The room I had at the Bourg Tibourg was the size of a broom closet. Also, the lighting was terrible with small sconce type things that had candle lightbulbs and red shades with fringe. I wouldn't even think of staying there again...not cheap, either.

Take a look the Bretonnerie in the Marais. Have stayed there a couple of times and liked it.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/de-la-bretonnerie.html
Feb 25th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Weekender, thanks!

Their Junior Suite only runs 210E, which is comparable to the broom closet single in the B-TiB...
Feb 25th, 2014, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Quick question: how large are the bathrooms in the Bretonnerie? I like biiiig bathrooms. Lots of counter space, a tub would be grand.

I really do love the Hotel des Grands Hommes. Each time I've stayed the bathrooms have been huge - one even had a French window that was nice to prop open and get a breeze. I'd love to find one as nice as that but in a different location.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO