Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Hotel Royal Fromentin in the 9th? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/hotel-royal-fromentin-in-the-9th-182451/)

Still looking Aug 30th, 2001 08:37 AM

Hotel Royal Fromentin in the 9th?

I am traveling with my 2 1/2 year old and mother to Paris first time. I found this hotel and I just love the interior and the feedback on hotel boulevard has been great. The only downside is the area, they say it is near sex shops. But we will be on a mission to see the louvre and Notre Dame while in that area, any opinions? What would you do? I am also thinking of staying at Hotel Moliere. What's the 9th like?

Curt Nov 4th, 2001 10:33 AM

My wife and I are staying at this hotel in a couple of weeks. The price, the ratings, and the pictures make it just the place to be for us. My understanding is the area is safe even with the Red Light District being there. I sent an e-mail to someone who has stayed there through Hotel Boulevard. He seemed very pleased. Said the view was wonderful.

al Nov 5th, 2001 05:00 AM

Surely you can find something that looks and good and is affordable that is not in the Red Light district! What do you think the evenings will be like, walking back to the hotel with your mother and your baby? Your first time in Paris should be a safe and wonderful time, enjoying the beauty of Paris and not having to get around the prostitutes on the street...My advice,keep looking, there are plenty of lovely safe, family orientated hotels in Paris.

cdf Nov 5th, 2001 05:04 AM

One afternoon, my husband and I walked from the Jacquemart Andre (sp?) Museum to Galleries Lafayette..it was a long walk, and mostly past businesses.But there was a section and it was closer to the GF than I would expect, where there were prostitutes in doorways, and men walking away with them-mostly upstairs into the buildings.They looked pretty much like you would expect a streetwalker to look, but I was surprised to see it going on so openly in the daytime...maybe it was a lunch time special?:) But I do not think I would want to stay in a hotel in that atmosphere with my mother and baby.Try the Left Bank,there are so many small hotels that are affordable, and the areas are either full of shops or residential..

Robert Nov 5th, 2001 07:43 AM

you should check with Fred at www.anamericaninparis.com <BR>he has a whole list of hotels with reviews

Fred Nov 5th, 2001 08:26 AM

It certainly is in the Red Light district but the prostitutes are harmless (for you). They stand in doorways and don't approach anyone. But if that sort of thing upsets you or your mom you should stay elsewhere. However, more important than that, it's not a convenient location to see the sights or a good area to stroll. There are plenty of hotels in your price range more conveniently located. As for the Moliere, it's received mixed reviews from various people as follows but the location is so much better you can't compare them, next to the Palais Royal, a couple of blocks from the Louvre and Tuileries <BR>Hotel Moliere (3 star right bank)- <BR>Nothing fancy but fine <BR>near Louvre and Palais Royal <BR>very pretty <BR>hotel was charming <BR>a charming courtyard . <BR>staff was knowledgeable helpful <BR>a very pretty room <BR>the rooms were spacious <BR>very plain <BR>low ceiling – felt claustrophobic <BR>clean <BR>would not stay there again. <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me – [email protected] <BR>