Hotel Rosso 23, Florence - Piazza di Santa Maria Novella

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2011, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Florence early October. Has anyone stayed at the Rosso 23 on the Piazza di Santa Maria Novella? It is directly across from the Grand Hotel Minerva. It gets good reviews, except for the bathrooms. Are they as small as everyone says? This hotel is within our budget ($225/night) and the location is good, but I need a comfortable king size bed and a good bathroom. Advice, please.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM

I've stayed there in September 2009. I love the location (especially convenient if you travel by train) and the minimum decoration of this hotel. The bed is king size and comfortable, the breakfast is very good, however, as you stated, the bathroom is indeed a little small, but to me it's acceptable size and not cramped. (To me if a bathroom is updated is more important than its size..)

Hope it helps!
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bearbe. Since you were there in September, did you feel the need for air conditioning in the room? I understand there is only a/c in the public rooms. Was the temperature comfortable in the room? Also, did you have a room at the front or the back of the hotel? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 12:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you need a hotel (lobby, restaurant, room service, laundry, etc.)? Do you need to be that close to the train station?

If not, look at Tourist House Ghiberti near the Duomo.

http://www.touristhouseghiberti.com/eng/01-home.html
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Jean, friends are arriving by train from Venice and wanted to be near the station. I don't necessarily need room service, laundry, and such, but would like friendly front desk staff to help with recommendations. It is my first stay in Florence. Most important to me is a good bed in a quiet, cool room under $250/night.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The area immediately around the SMN station is not where I would want to stay. Have your friends been to Florence before? FYI, a 10-minute walk toward the Duomo or the river would put you in a much nicer area.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM

Although it is not around the train station, I would highly recommend you check out the Hotel Casci. I have been there five times to date and would never think of staying anywhere else when in Florence. They are a small (25 room) B&B with immaculate rooms, wonderful (not small) bathrooms, some with a tub, the MOST helpful and sweet family that run it (nothing is too much trouble for them), and very nice and comfortable beds. The B&B is far from elegant, actually some people liken it to dormitory rooms in terms of "decor", but for me the most important selling point was the cleanliness, the wonderful and helpful family and staff that run the place, the very elaborate and delicious breakfast every morning.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Jean and Flame. I will take your advice. This forum is the best resource!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 06:05 PM

I stayed towards the front of the hotel, which would be a little noisy in my opinion (because it's facing the piazza and there's a restaurant having outdoor sitting adjacent to the hotel), but my bf didn't have any problem at all, and it did quiet down after 11pm. But I stayed in the deluxe room, which i believe is the only few of rooms facing the piazza, the rest of the rooms should be just fine. I didn't even notice the room didn't have AC, the evening cool down a lot to 60Fs, we had to wear light jacket on our way back from dinner.
Santa Maria Novella piazza was renovated and clean, I felt fine and safe around that area. It's about 10 minutes walk to the Duomo and museums. I was glad that i chose staying there because it's situated in between Train station and all the sights, and not too crowded but close to all the actions.