Hotel room near Hamburg, Germany airport that sleeps 4

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having a very difficult time finding a hotel room near the Hamburg, Germany airport that sleeps four (2 adults, 2 children). Can anyone help me? We will be flying in late at night with two children, ages 12 and 9, and we would feel more comfortable spending the first night at a hotel near the airport versus driving a long distance while jet lagged. We only need one night since the next day we will be driving two hours north to visit relatives. Why don't more European hotels have any rooms that sleep 4? We would rather not split up into two rooms.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 09:56 PM

I Googled quad room Hamburg airport and a bunch of hotels popped up. The Courtyard and Radisson Park Inn among others. Try it and see what comes up for you. These didn't appear on booking dot com which is a site I always use for room search. Maybe the airport hotels cater to business people?
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:30 PM

use the filters in Booking.com and what you seek you shall find.
Old Jan 19th, 2015, 11:58 PM

In answer to the question why more European hotels don't have rooms for 4 people, it is down to room size, price of real estate, and local laws.
If you search you can find them, but be prepared for a wall to wall bed, since the room probably is no larger than one for two people.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 12:13 AM

Hi familyfindinghotel,

Many hotels charge by the person rather than by the room, so taking two adjoining rooms isn't significantly more expensive than putting four people into a small room.

When we travelled through Europe, my parents took two rooms -- but they were adjoining. There was a connecting door between the rooms, so my sister and I were as close to the parents as we were at home. Closer maybe.

s
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 02:15 AM

Near Hamburg Airport I can recommend the Courtyard and the Radisson Blu. Both hotels do not offer bedrooms for 4 persons. The Courtyard offers a junior suite but with a maximum of 3 persons. You might contact both hotels directly if they can offer extra beds. Otherwise, you have to book two double rooms.

The Marriott in Hamburg downtown (20 min by taxi from the aiport) offers 2 double beds / 4 persons in one room. An excellent choice would be the all-suite hotel Adina in Hamburg downtown (same distance from airport) which has fully equipped 2 bedroom suites with kitchen and washing machine.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 04:36 AM

With more than 3 people it is almost always cheaper to rent an apartment or a house, but for only 1 night (?) that's often not allowed. Otherwise, "family rooms" (the standard US sized hotel room) are not that common in Europe but they are out there. Do contact the hotels directly by email and see what they can do for you.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 04:48 PM

I'm having the same problem finding a hotel for a family if 4 in Munich! I can sympathize! Where else will you be traveling? I'm curious to read your itinerary. My children are close to yours in age.
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 07:29 PM

After searching for a 4-person room using a random date I don't think you will find an "airport hotel" that meets the bill. Instead, if you take the S-Bahn from the airport to Hauptbahnhof (24 minute train ride; pretty plain and easy) there appear to be numerous options. You might find that this train ride downtown (particularly if you look for a place right by the S-Bahn) will be actually pretty time-effective, with the S-Bahn going every 10 minutes or so and taking you straight from the terminal to a downtown hotel.

As rebeirasacra suggested, use the "other options" for number of people option at Booking.com to search for: 1 room; 4 persons. Then look at the map for listed hotels to get one just steps from an S-Bahn stop (likely Hauptbahnhor or Berliner Tor).
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

brubenow - we are just visiting relatives near Hamburg and then hoping up to Stockholm, Sweden to visit friends.

So far the best I've come up with is the Park Inn, which is a 10 minute drive from the Hamburg airport, offers a room that has a bed that sleeps 2, a couch that sleeps 1, and they can put in a cot for an additional 15 euro to sleep one more (although they warned us that it would be a tight fit and no room to walk around). We would rather not head to downtown since we will be arriving very late and will be heading north the next morning.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 01:55 PM

Looks like a cab is 20 Euro to the Park Inn, and that does keep things simple (see link). Most Hamburg cabs are standard Mercedes, but one time we got an ultra-large van with a huge luggage space at the Hamburg airport - - it was in the taxi queue and we just walked straight back to it - - and it operated as a standard cab at exactly the same fare. If you have a fair amount of luggage you might want to hold out for one of those.

http://www.taxifarefinder.com/main.p...97413000000051
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 02:01 AM

The Park Inn is somewhat in the middle of nowhere. The taxi drive into the city centre takes just a few minutes more and costs about the same.

I fly regularly into Hamburg and usually I take a taxi. (I have tried the U-Bahn, but it is slower and not cheaper if you share a taxi with four persons.)

The taxi ride into downtown will take 20 minutes and the fare will be 20 - 22 Euros. When you leave the baggage claim area you will see the taxi stand just behind the doors. There is a line of taxis of all sizes and a dispatcher. When he sees your family and baggage, he will wave a minivan for you. Standard procedure. The fare will be the same, regardless what kind of cab and how many people.

Check the Adina hotel. I have stayed there. It will be perfect for your family (with pool).

https://www.tfehotels.com/brands/adi...hamburg-michel