Hotel room in Paris for 3 adults

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 03:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, 19 year old son and myself will end a baltic cruise in paris on september 7th, will be there for 3 nights and we would like to stay within walking distance of the major tourist sites, louvre, notre dame, seine etc. We don't mind walking a mile to get there, however we can't afford a 5 star hotel and it seems that all of the quaint, charming hotels barely have enough room to fit 2 adults, much less 3. I'd appreciate any advice on finding a large enough room to fit the 3 of us comfortably (am willing to pay up to $400.00 a night, if necessary.) Thanks for any advice you can give me!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Here's a start:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34478609
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:08 AM
tod

toffiefl - On one occassion we had our son( 17 at the time) with us in two rooms each with it's own telly but only one toilet & shower. Even if I could remember the name it would not matter as it has changed since, BUT, it was in La Tour Marbourg on the lefthandside facing the Seine, and only a few hundred metres from the L.T.Marbourg metro stop.
I can suggest the Hotel Givarni in rue Givarni who would probably have a family suite. The metro stop is Passy and we found it very convenient to the Trocadero and Eifel Tower. It is one of the cleanest well run small hotels I have stayed in. Both would be well in your price range. Also try the VENERE.COM website which got us the Holiday Inn Paris Opera at 179euros per room(240e direct with hotel). I am sure they would get you a good deal.
Best of luck.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:15 AM
tod

toffiefl - sorry that should read GAVARNI.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 04:27 AM

Try thr hotel Du Danube. They have jr suites that can be made up for 3-4 persons at about 220 Euro

http://www.hoteldanube.fr/htgb/frameset.htm
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:45 AM

Pardon me, but I think if someone willing to pay $400/night for the Hotel room - there shouldn't be a problem...other then one just want to impress budget travelers.
Again, pardon my ignorance, I have a certificate of being few marbles short.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Why don't you get two rooms at a lovely hotel like the Muguet, pay $250 for the two and have some nice meals on what you save. There are MANY hotels available in this price range.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:02 AM

my favorite hotel has a suite in the mid 300E's... I think. Its the Hotel Relais du Louvre in the 1eme.(the Louvre is right across the street, the Pont Neuf, 1 block away) Actually, I find it VERY central to anywhere
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:08 AM

FYI-I think you'd want a/c at the beginning of Sept. & the list Travelnut linked you to is mostly non-a/c.

You've gotten a number of good suggestions all over the lot in terms of price &amp; comfort level. $400 is a lot of money, toffiefl. It may not buy 5 stars, but it'll buy a lot. So I, like others, am confused about what you <i>really</i> want. Do you want a biggish hotel with all services (elevator, restaurant etc.) with a room with 2 queen beds for $400? If yes, I can add Le Grand Hotel Intercontinental to your list. It's across from the Garnier Opera House in the 1er on the Right Bank probably near the Holiday Inn tod mentions. BTW I agree venere.com is a good website to shop, but I think you should be able to get any hotel to match a rate you've seen on another website. (ie if Tod had said &quot;I saw a rate of 179e on venere, will you match it?&quot; the worst that could have happened would be they'd say no &amp; you'd book it on venere. But they'd probably say yes &amp; avoid paying venere.

Would you rather have some charm in an apt/hotel situation? Try Les Residences des Arts on the Left Bank
www.arts-residence-paris.com
in one of their apartments.

For some privacy for all involved, I agree a double &amp; a single yielding 2 bathrooms makes sense. Any decent 3* can get you this for 300e or less.

Finally, The newish Henri IV Rive Gauche near Notre Dame lists a triple rate of 170e. Don't know what the bed set up would be. Look at it here
http://hotels.parishotels.com/hotel-...amp;hotel=2146

There are really tons of good hotels at all levels that can accomodate your situation. Just decide what you'd really like. Happy planning.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the useful advice so far. Yes, we definitely need a hotel room with air-conditioning so altho I like the Muguet, that was out, no ac. I am checking the venere.com and also the relais du louvre looks great. we can get a jr. suite for 290. We don't want a large, impersonal hotel with all the services where inside you wouldn't even know you're in paris. we definitely are looking for french charm and all we really need is reasonable space for 3 adults, within walking distance of many tourist sites and ac.
Ziana, i didn't mean to sound snobby, my husband is german, we're able to pay in euros without having to pay the exchange rate from dollars which allows us to pay a little more for our room. Thanks so much for everyone's help so far!
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:47 AM

We traveled with our 19 year old son 2 years ago. ALWAYS got 2 rooms, a single and a double. A little appartness is a good thing...

We stayed around $100 for both, so with your budget, there should be plenty of choices.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 06:57 AM

We stayed at Hotel de la Bretonnerie in the Marais in a suite which had a large bed in one room, and a single bed in another room definitely within your price range. The bathroom was huge, with seperate areas for the sink, toilet, and shower. We loved this hotel, very close to sites and the Metro. Here is a website, although we made reservations directly with the hotel.
http://hotels.parishotels.com/hotel-...26&amp;lang=en

Old Apr 30th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Toffiefl, just adding my vote to the &quot;get two rooms&quot; faction. You could easily find 2 rooms in a nice, charming hotel (3 stars at least and possibly some 4 stars), with AC, etc., for $300 total. For $400 total, finding two rooms in a centrally located 4 star hotel should be a breeze (example: Hotel Luxembourg Parc, directly across from the Luxembourg Gardens). I can't imagine NOT wanting two bathrooms, two televisions and a dividing wall between an adult couple and a teenage son ;-)
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:16 AM

Hi,

I stayed at Hotel Le Notre Dame, on Quai St Michel. Top floor, triple, double and single in a loft. Window looks out over Notre Dame and Seine, prime location. Looked and saw pricing of 195E.
Mike
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:23 AM

The H&ocirc;tel Duquesne-Eiffel in the 7th has at least one quad and a couple of chambres communicantes for under 200&euro;. It's a very pretty hotel not far from Les Invalides and the Tour Eiffel.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 08:46 AM

We stayed at the Hotel du Levant in the Latin Quarter (with a view of Notre Dame across the Seine), and although we were only a party of two, we had a room with a double bed and a single bed. I seem to remember paying for a larger room, which came with the additional bed. The hotel was cute and quaint, and I think it was less than $200 per night (in October of 2002). We loved the location because we were surrounded by little restaurants/outdoor cafes where you could have a great 3-course pre-fixe meal for about $15. It was easy to get to all the tourist sites using the Metro, and we were able to walk to some like Notre Dame, Saint-Chapelle, the Louvre, and the Musee d'Orsay (fantastic museum, by the way).
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:00 AM

The MUguet IS airconditioned.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:01 AM

Oh, and the Muguet has at least one triple if that is still what you feel you must do. I cannot see me staying in the same room with my sons when they were that age.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 10:07 AM

With that budget I would go for two rooms in a pleasant hotel in a central location. You'll all be more comfortable having a scond bath and alittle privacy -and for $200 there are a lot of good places available through brokers/servces/web site deals.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 01:47 PM

Just another vote that with that budget you can certainly get two nice rooms in a 3* hotel, including AC. I certainly would with an adult son, there's not reason at all to even have the rooms connected (which really limits the choices). The Muguet does have AC, but with your budget, you can afford a nicer hotel and I would guess you'd want one if you are willing to pay up to that amount.