Hotel Room Description Confusion

May 6th, 1999, 11:02 AM
Eva

Hotel Room Description Confusion

Hi- I'm in the midst of researching hotels and some of the description are confusing. Mainly, what is a single room? Is it a single "twin size" bed? Is a double room two beds or just one "full size" bed. I've seen some descriptions say double room - single use, double room double use and most of the pictures I've seen are two single beds shoved up against each other. I just need a room with one full size bed. Am I crazy?

May 6th, 1999, 11:17 AM
michael Baldwin

Here's the deal:

It's fairly common in European hotels that a bed meant for two people is simply two "single" beds placed right next to each other. Relax, this is actually very comfortable.

If you'll be sharing the bed, simply ask for a double room with a large bed.

Sometimes you'll get a queen/king bed, sometimes you'll get two twins. Either way is fine.

Enjoy the difference.

Michael Baldwin

May 6th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Beth

Eva,
also remember that generally a "single room", or a "double room, single use" is meant for one person, no matter the size of the bed. I think twin room usually means two twin beds, and double room means 1 double (or full size bed). But this probably doesn't hold true everywhere. You're not crazy at all, its very confusing. Especially since every hotel has different conventions. If you want something quite specific then you should check with the hotel you are booking with.

May 6th, 1999, 12:11 PM
marilyn

How well I remember staying at a small hotel at Mont St. Michel. My husband and I received a "double" room, our friend Jim a "single" room. Each was exactly the same. Jim's room was fine for a single person, ours was preposterous for two persons, unless Lilliputians. We paid more!

May 6th, 1999, 12:46 PM
elaine

Eva
If you do a Search on <bed> or
<double room> you will find previous postings on this subject.
When I book rooms outside the US
I specify both how many people will be staying in the room and what kind of
bed(s) I want. For example "a room for two persons with one large bed" or "a room for two persons with two beds".
With that information I seem to get wh

May 6th, 1999, 12:47 PM
elaine

that was supposed to be
"what I want."