Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotel Review: Pension Garni Waldrast (Ehenbichl, Austria - near Reutte)

Hotel Review: Pension Garni Waldrast (Ehenbichl, Austria - near Reutte)

Jun 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Review: Pension Garni Waldrast (Ehenbichl, Austria - near Reutte)

Hi all,

Due to my work schedule and APA Exam schedule, it doesn't look likely that I'll be putting together a complete trip report anytime soon.

We (family of 6) stayed at Pension Garni Waldrast for 2 nights (May 31, June 1). The hotel is located in Ehenbichl which is about 7 minutes outside of the town of Reutte. Fussen (15 minutes away) and the castles (Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau) were about a 25 minute drive from the hotel. Linderhof and Ettal Monastery were about a 30 minute drive from the hotel. There is ample parking for guests at the Waldrast.

Here is my review as posted on Tripadvisor and tweaked to add more detail for Fodorites:

Our family spent 2 nights at the Waldrast. The hotel is off a small road (a tiny bit of noise at night but FAR less than any other hotel in the entire area of Ehenbichl - just outside of Reutte, and certainly less than in Reutte which is quieter than Fussen... you get the idea). The hotel is surrounded by beautiful green meadows and no other hotels or other businesses or buildings. Our room had a balcony with a view of the ruins of Ehrenberg Castle. My parents had an even larger room with a castle view balcony. My sister had a single room with a view of the castles. My father-in-law did not have a castle view. The rooms have bathroom ensuite and all but one (my father-in-law's single) had a TV. There are radiators in every room. No A/C. Definitely wasn't needed when we were there.

The Huter family, the owners, were delightful and very kind. They made breakfast for us a half-hour before they officially began serving so that we would make our Castle tour on time for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau. Breakfast is normally served from 8am - 10pm. DH and I hiked up to the ruins of Ehrenberg Castle one night and it took us (brisk pace) from about 8:45pm to 10pm roundtrip. The path is just behind the hotel. Breakfast was good and consisted of the usual Austrian/Bavarian fare - rolls, breads, jams, yogurt, meats, cheeses, and excellent coffee. Mr. Huter speaks very good English and was kind enough to provide us with a map of the area and directions to the Castles.
The Waldrast has no restaurant. We enjoyed eating at the Hotel Maximillian about 5 minutes away - we ate there twice. The restaurant there was fantastic but the hotel is in a bit busier of an area than the Waldrast. The location of the Waldrast is serenity itself. The rooms are large and most appear to have last been redecorated several decades ago (70s style). The beds were comfortable and the place was immaculately clean. The towels were old but clean. No soap or shampoo is provided so bring your own, and there is no hair dryer.

Final Notes: We will be coming back and staying here again... hopefully for a longer stay so that we can do several of the hikes in the area. There appear to be miles upon miles of lovely hikes in the area.
As a last tip - do not miss the museum at the entrance to the Ehrenburg Castle ruins. We were shocked to discover how wonderful it is - the best museum in terms of layout, interactive displays, and content that we have seen in 5 years of traveling throughout Europe. Tons to do for kids and adults alike!

Search this Thread