Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel/Resort Recommendations for the Costa del Sol, with kids

Apr 9th, 2002, 11:26 PM
Leslie

Trying to identify a good coastal location (after touring Andalusia) to relax a few days next spring, with the kids next, ages 14 & 12. Will probably be coming from Ronda and then heading to Granada and back to Madrid, with a car.

I'm reading that many of the towns on the Costa del Sol are overcrowded and overbuilt. Nerja sounds like a possibility for more quaintness but with a beach. How is Cadiz? Any suggested places (actual hotels/resorts or just town names)?

Thank you.

Apr 10th, 2002, 05:23 AM
lisa

We stayed at a great resort in Estepona called Las Dunas. It is one of the Leading Hotels of the World. Has a great pool area with cabana service and they serve this huge outdoor buffet lunch everyday with an outdoor grill to prepare lots of local seafood and other specialties. The hotel has a full-service spa and beach access, too (although we didn't think the beach was that nice). The service was great. They can make reservations at any local golf course. There are also two restaurants -- one very fancy Continental and one more casual with a piano bar.

Not sure if this is up your alley with kids, but thought I'd recommend it.

Apr 10th, 2002, 05:25 AM
lisa

Sorry -- I always seem to come up with one more thing to say after I hit "Post my reply." Estepona is very close to Marbella -- a 15 min drive. Your kids might enjoy Puerto Banus, which is the local beachside "strip" with restaurants, shops, lots of people. Marbella also apparently has a quaint, older part of the town, that we missed on our visit.

Apr 10th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Maribel

Leslie,
The 5 star, luxury Le Meridien-Los Monteros outside of Marbella has a full childrens' program or...
If you're looking for something more moderate, consider the 4 star Hotel El Fuerte in Marbella (www.hotel-elfuerte.es). We sent friends there, a family with 2 teens and a 12 yr. old, and the kids loved the setting right on the beach and being in the center of this lively city at night. As Lisa says, Marbella does have an atmospheric, very walkable historic quarter filled with tapas bars and restaurants for all budgets. The El Fuerte has 2 pools, tennis and paddle courts, fitness center, etc.
I agree the kids would enjoy a look at the "scene" at the tony, "jet set" yacht harbor of Puerto Banus, built to resemble architectually a typical Andalusian white village. In season it has a kind of Spanish "South Beach" atmosphere (with its own "News Cafe")-you'll see moguls driving Rolls Royces, even a sheik or two, models, an occasional celebrity (Antonio Banderas & Melanie have a home nearby), and non-stop nightlife-for the young and restless. And lots of shops, including a mall with a branch of El Corte Ingles, and an inexp. Dalli's Pizza Factory.

See if Marbella is right for you at:
www.marbella.com
www.marbella-scene.com (English under construction but you can view images)
www.absolute-marbella.com (magazine)
www.pgb.es/marbella/index.html
www.andalucia.com/marbella/home.htm

Apr 10th, 2002, 03:51 PM
janet

I was in Marbella last week. We stayed at Marriott Marbella Beach Resort. We had a 2 bedroom villa with living room, dining room, jacuzzi. It was beautiful and on the beach. There were four of us (2 teenage/adult daughters). It worked for us since we didn't have to take two double rooms. The place was fabulous.