Reload this Page >

HOTEL RESIDENCE MONGE vs. GRAND HOTEL LEVEQUE

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All!!

Wanted to get anyone's opinion on which hotel to book.

These were two hotels I was able to get the inexpensive rates for triples in July.

I wanted to see if anyone could reccomend one over the other.

We wanted a hotel that was in the middle of it all, as we only have 4 nights in Paris. I know they are in totally different neighborhoods, but both seem to be close to the attractions.

We would have a street view with both and I am a little concerned about the noise.

Also, if you have an alternative inexpensive (under 130E) hotel to reccomend, I would appreciate that as well!

Thank you!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:44 AM

I can't comment on Grand Hotel Leveque, but we have stayed at Hotel Residence Monge and were very pleased. The street noise didn't bother us, but we have street noise where we live, so that could have been a factor.

Otherwise, the location was good, the host was very helpful, the room was nice with modern ammenities, and we very much enjoyed having the two French doors open and watching the goings on of the street below from the terrace.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:46 AM

Hi
I don't know the hotels except by reputation. Lots of good comments at
www.tripadvisor.com

The reliable book Great Sleeps in Paris said of the Monge that it isn’t posh and that rooms are generally small, room #31 is the best in the house, expect some noise in # 1 and 15 because they face the street.

For the Leveque, I've read that some rooms overlook an airshaft, but the top floor rooms have tiny balconies, and some have views of the Eiffel Tower.
I'd also read about 'faded charm' but that may or may not be a current impression.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:19 AM

Does either of them promise 3 actual beds, or only a 'rollaway' type bed for the 3rd person? That might influence your choice.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

What about staying in the 5th or the 6th versus the 7th? Is one more convenient or more kid friendly than the others?

We will not be going to many museums, more just walking around the neighboorhoods and monuments.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:00 AM

I don't think you will be walking from your hotel to all the attractions, the distance between all those points isn't that small.

In your case, I think I would recommend the Leveque for the location. YOu could walk from there to the Eiffel Tower, if you wanted. It's generally a flatter area than that around Hotel Monge, and near a nice large park (Champ de Mars where the Eiffel Tower is).

I don't think you'll want to spend your time just walking around the immediate neighborhood of your hotel in either case -- although I actually find the area around Hotel Monge more interesting and would prefer it myself. I don't know what monuments you want to visit, though.

I think both would be great and the Monge likely to be quieter, although you can get traffic noise in that location you wouldn't get at Leveque. It depends on the floor.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:21 AM

I haven't seen the Hotel Residence Monge, however, I have walked past the Grand Hotel Leveque numerous times. The Leveque is certainly in the middle of things on the Rue Cler and off Rue Grenelle. The bustling open market is below and the street vendors are out in full force. I have heard others comment on the noise above the street, however, if you request a room in the back and further up, you should be ok. The central location can't be beat and you can walk anywhere from there (I prefer the 7th Arr to stay in myself).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:25 AM

newtraveller:
I have visited Paris five time in the last ten years and have always returned to the rue Cler area. I have stayed in the Grand Hotel Leveque and Hotel Champs du Mars. This April I have reservations at Leveque even though I could not get a room facing rue Cler. The noise level on the street is high in the morning as the vendors set up their stands but I awake early and enjoy the rue Cler scene.
The location is great, the price is reasonable and Leveque even has an ice machine.
If you stay in the rue Cler area I recommend that you try the Cafe du Marche for lunch. It is just down the street from the Leveque.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:42 AM

Just to offer another viewpoint:

I think it's wonderful to have found a neighborhood and hotel (or two) that feel just perfect and offer no reason to want to stay in any other area. It certainly saves time researching other hotels, and I'm sure makes for a comfortable feeling to have found an area that offers just what you want.

But, for those of us who have tried different neighborhoods and hotels in Paris at one time or another, there
are positives (and negatives in some cases) of different neighborhoods and hotels, all of which can be considered to be more or less 'in the middle of it all'. I haven't stayed in a hotel in the rue Cler area, but from a passer-by viewpoint there are other areas that appeal to me more. That's not a criticism of it, just another opinion.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Elaine

Seeing as my trip is not until July, I am also very open to any hotel ideas you may have for me as well.....I chose these hotels not so much because I have to be in the 6th or 7th but because I am looking for something inexpensive that is very accesible to the city centre.

I just need a hotel that has trip rooms and is very inexpensive (under 130E.)

I would love to hear about a hotel in your favorite area.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:32 PM

I just stayed at a great place in the 6th, the Delavigne, but they don't have a/c and you are going in July. Their rates do go down mid-July through August for that reason. When budget demands, I would stay there again in a heartbeat, but I've never done without a/c in the summer and I'm not sure I'd want to risk being uncomfortable.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:36 PM

I haven't stayed there, but look into the Abbatial St Germain, in the 5th
http://www.sahuc-hotels.com/abbatial

it gets good comments here (try a search) and at tripadvisor
I think it might be in your price range,and they do have a triple
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:41 PM

I should say, I'm not sure they have a triple per se, but I did read a review which mentioned that a rollaway bed was added and there was still room to walk around.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 01:43 PM

I'll be at the Abbatial next week. I plan to do a trip report soon after I get back (the 13th).
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:17 PM

Let's see, in the Left Bank? I would recommend Hotel des Grandes Ecoles-75 Cardinal Lemoine, around 105-139E/nt. for the most part charming, ideally located in a quiet courtyard/garden-nicely furnished, most rooms with ensuite bath, lots of shops restaurants around rue Mouffetard-metro: Cardinal Lemoine, Place Monge
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:02 PM

Jocelyn, I'll be eager to hear about the Abbatial. I realize it's not season now, but would like to know if they have a/c.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 04:57 PM

Re: Hotel des Grandes Ecoles - I know it's a matter of very personal preference, but I couldn't stay in those flowery rooms for 5 minutes, the pictures alone kill my brain (not that I've been staying at any charmers lately). I'm sure it's the wallpaper, the furnishing look charming otherwise. The garden would be delightful, too, and the price is good.

Re: Abbatial - the websites say there is A/C. The question is - will it work when you need it?..
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Has anyone heard of HOTEL COSMOS?
It is at 35 rue Jean-Pierre Timbaud
75011 PARIS and exceptionally cheap, but I have not seen anything about it on trip advisor.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM

HI
I was curious so I just searched on the Hotel Cosmos here as well, nothing came up.
There is one positive comment from 2000 at www.paris.org
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM

I forgot about this budget hotel, has been favorably mentioned in the past.

Lux Hotel Picpus **
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75012lux.htm

I think it said 63€ for a triple.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -