Hotel Reservations in Paris Necessary?

Jul 27th, 1998, 10:35 AM
Cindi Underwood

Hotel Reservations in Paris Necessary?

My mother and I will be in Paris the end of September-first of October for 3 nights. We will be in London for two weeks prior to Paris. Do we need to make reservations at a hotel before we leave the U.S. or is it possible to obtain a nice place after we arrive in London? Is there any difference in cost if booked in advance? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Jul 27th, 1998, 08:49 PM
Seamus

You'll probably do just fine without an advance reservation, but just to be sure that you are not competing with some major events (e.g., fashion show, car show, etc - they can really eat up available rooms!) you might check prior to departure. If you do arrive wihtout a rez, there are plenty of local tourist offices that will arrange a room; they are located in most train stations and/or airports.

Jul 28th, 1998, 10:47 AM
Louis Dameson

September and October are peak seasons for trade shows, fashion shows, and conventions. You can always find a room but perhaps not in the location or the quality of room you want. You have to little time in Paris. It would be a shame to waste it with hotel problems. You should give serious consideration to extending your time in Paris to a minimum of 5 days. In comparison on what the cities have to offer you are spending too much time in London. Pick the location near your main points of interest in Paris and a hotel in your budget range near the metro. Then phone the hotel direct and reserve your room. There is no cost difference in reserving from the USA. Most hotels have reasonable cancellation terms so you are not as locked into reservations as you would be through a travel agent. Thus you can change things at the last minute by phoning the hotel. It doesn't cost much to phone France.

Jul 28th, 1998, 11:20 AM
Christina

I disagree with how easy it is to get reservations
in Paris on the spot in Oct. As long as you know
the dates you will be there, why on earth not
make reservations ahead of time? I don't see the
point--you will waste a lot of time and not
get something you want or the best quality, if you
are lucky and get anything decent at all. Oct. is
one of the busiest months in Paris and rooms are
booked up way ahead of time. Hotel rates are
regulated in Paris, they won't be cheaper because
you're in London or closer in time to the date,
they'll be whatever is allowable for the room
based on the rate season (I forget when high season
starts, but it's either Sept. or Oct). Do you
really want to spend several hours trying to get a
room through the main Tourist Office on the Champs-Elysees to get them to book whatever room is available and left over at the last minute--not to mention the taxi costs doing all this. Many train stations do not have tourist booths, and the ones that do may be closed unpredictably. I speak from experience, having spent about 4-5 hours once in the Gare du Nord after arriving from London by train in early October trying to get a hotel room in Paris. I finally found one that was willing to give me a room for one night only--all rooms were booked due to business and trade conventions and the tourist booth was closed. Why not read guidebooks, the
internet, etc. to review hotels and choose the one
you want and make a reservation comfortably ahead
of time from home?

Jul 28th, 1998, 11:31 AM
Dennis

I second all of the above. With only three days you don't want to waste half of one trying to find the right hotel in the right place. I've been in Paris at the time you're going (in fact I'll be there this year at that time) and I've found it both easy and difficult to get what I want. Since you know when you're going to be there, by all means book in advance and save yourself at least one headache. Please e-mail me if you'd like more particulars. Have a great trip!

Jul 28th, 1998, 12:45 PM
katy kendrik

I just experienced private furnished apartments in PARIS for five days. It worked out pretty well. there are several agencies whcih provide the service, one is in Chicago, on N Michigan and you can reach them throught the french tourist office.

Jul 28th, 1998, 12:46 PM
katy kendrik

I just experienced private furnished apartments in PARIS for five days. It worked out pretty well. there are several agencies whcih provide the service, one is in Chicago, on N Michigan and you can reach them throught the french tourist office.