Hotel Reservations in July?

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Hotel Reservations in July?

We are traveling in the Amsterdam, Brussels, Paris area in early July. We have two children. We plan to make hotel reservations in our major spots, but do we really need to make reservations for every night or can we find rooms along the way?

Feb 17th, 2002, 08:48 AM
You've posed a pretty broad question. In general, though, if you are willing to accept whatever is available, you can find something most easily by visiting the local tourist bureau in each town. Most towns have one. I wouldn't recommend just wandering around and looking on your own. Arriving in the town no later than early afternoon will give you a better chance at something you will like.
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:41 AM
I can't speak for Amsterdam and Brussels, but for Paris, early July is not peak season (business travel is down) so you should be able to find a room somewhere, if you just want any room any where. I agree the tourist office (127 av Champs Elysees) is your best bet to find a room especially given you have special requirements because of the children. Many hotels have limited rooms suitable for four or connecting rooms, if those are young children and must be in your room. You may have no problem at all, but I have known people who ended up in high-rise chain hotels in the suburbs around Paris (near the peripherique around Paris) when arriving without reservations, and they didn't need anything but a double. There is always a tradeoff for the way you wish to travel, perhaps not as nice a hotel, higher price, poorer value, bad location, time spent finding the hotel, etc., but if that's important to you to not have reservations, I wouldn't worry too much about that time period. If you don't care that much about being in central Paris or wanting what people often call a charming or quaint hotel, it should be no problem. There are large Ibis hotels all around Paris with hundreds of rooms, for one thing.

Search this Thread