Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel reservations in Italy & Switzerland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 1998, 08:51 PM
Sue

My husband and I plan to be in Italy and Switzerland for several weeks in Sept. 98. We have reservations in Venice, Rome and Florence. <BR>Do any of you experienced travelers have an opinion as to whether we need reservations in Sorrento, Siena, Bern and Lausanne? We would like to be flexable but would hate to not have a room for several nights. We are traveling by train and would welcome suggestions as to hotels near the stations.

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 01:10 PM
Richard

Of the 4 cities you mention, I've only been to Siena. Unlike most cities the train station in Siena is not in town, you have to take a bus to reach the town proper. We were there in September and had no problem finding a room. <BR>

Old Jul 26th, 1998, 02:33 PM
Sue

Thanks Richard. We had contacted two hotels in Siena and they were already booked. Your note gives us some hope. We would like to stay in Siena for about three days and travel around the countryside,possibly by bus. Do you think Siena would be a good choice for a base city. From what I read in the travel books, it seems like a very interesting city. Do you happen to remember the name of the place where you stayed?

Old Jul 27th, 1998, 12:37 PM
Tanya

I was recently in school in Siena, and i stayed there for approximately 6 weeks. Its a beautiful city with many sites to see. There should be no problem finding a hotel. However, during the Palio races (horse races) in the Campo, during june and august- you will find NO accomodation! I lived in the university's dorms- which are immaculate! Better than here in toronto. So my advice is to stay there. The rooms are clean and you have your private bath, with a kitchen if you like down the hall. Its the best way to enjoy Italian life. You beging to know the people and they are very friendly too. (and i don't even speak italian) Food can get costly depending upon where you eat- but there is a fabulous restaurant called IL GALLO NERO which has amazing pasta dishes- apparently Robert deNiro went there during his visit to the palio races. Check it out- and have fun. You can walk anywhere downtown, but outside the city walls aren't that great. A bus ride into Florence is $10 Can. which takes 1 hour, and leaves as early as 7:30am. and return around 8:00pm. Enjoy the scenery its the best in Tuscany because the city is build on a hill. Have fun!

Old Jul 29th, 1998, 01:20 AM
joelle

September is still a busy month for tourism in Italy. This means it would be better to book ahead for Sorrento and Siena.