Reload this Page >

Hotel reservations in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 05:40 PM
suma

Hi, <BR>I've thoroughly enjoyed the postings on this site. <BR> <BR>My husband and I are planning to go to Italy for 9 days at the end of September. We haven't made any reservations yet. It it too late to reserve? If not I need some advice on how to book hotels in Rome, Florence and Venice...whether thru internet, phone, etc. I am looking for double room w/bath in the range of $100-$125. I don't want to pay too much in commission. <BR> <BR>Also, we will be flying to Italy from London round trip. And I need information about cheap airfares between London and Rome. <BR> <BR>Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 05:52 PM
sandi

The first thing I'd do (and did) was to read previous postings on certain cities that you're interested in. You can use the search function on this site. Use those names to search on the internet and look at the hotel's website. A lot of them have reservations capabilities from their site. Also, look at www.venere.it and you'll see dozens of hotels w/ links to all their web sites. I usually emailed the hotel directly to ask about availability and prices since I needed a triple room. I always got responses, usually the next day. Send out emails to several, so you have a choice. They sometimes want a deposit and always get a confirmation email that states what the cancellation policy is. Be sure to take the email prinout with you when you check in, in case of problems. You shouldn't have any trouble finding 3 star hotels in that range, during that time. Have a wonderful trip.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:29 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Go to www.venere.it Good luck !

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 06:56 PM
ellen

For finding fares, I suggest going to www.sidestep.com. I found a fare of around $162 RT from London to Rome for the later part of October on British Airways. Alitalia is also showing flights for the same price. I suspect you won't find anything that low for September, though. I note that while you can book the British Airways flight on their website, you can't pay with your credit card. You have to do it online at a cost of about $35. Good luck.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:08 PM
Betsy

Go to www.laterooms.com. We used them for a last minute trip to London and would use them again in similar circumstances. Noticed that they have availability in Italy also.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 07:21 PM
A.M.

Hello Ellen, <BR> Sidestep comes on side screen when I use Travelocity or Expedia. More often than not it shows airfares that are more expensive than either of the other two. I am curious if you or anyone else has found the same to be true? <BR>Thanks, <BR>A.M.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:54 PM
Leslie

Another good website for online booking is www.itwg.com. You get an email confirmation directly from the hotel.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:35 AM
ellen

To A.M., I use Sidestep all by itself. It claims to include fares from Travelocity, Expedia, etc. and the airlines themselves. I did peruse the other websites but this seemed easier.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:26 AM
Marianna

Hi there, <BR> <BR>I agree with your recommendation re searching itwg.com, it is very good. <BR> <BR>However if you want to contact some hotels directly either by phone, fax or email I have listed some for you that I know of. I suggest you do this promptly as many hotels are fully booked during the month of September. <BR> <BR>I am a tour guide here in Rome with a wonderful English speaking tour company called Odyssey Tours. If you would like any information on the tours that I am positive you would enjoy while you are in Rome such as The Vatican City Tour, Ancient City Tour etc please email me direct at: <BR>[email protected] <BR> <BR>Good luck. <BR>Marianna <BR> <BR>Hotel S Anna <BR>Borgo Pio, 133, 11093 <BR>Phone # 06 68801602 email: [email protected] <BR>www.travel.it/roma/santanna <BR>This is quite a nice 3 star hotel near the Vatican and close to transport. <BR> <BR>Hotel Tiziano <BR>Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 110 00186 <BR>Phone # 06 686 5019 <BR>A nice four star hotel very well located to all the main sites. However make sure you ask for a room away from the road as it is on a very noisy street. <BR> <BR>Hotel Campo de'Fiori <BR>Via del Biscione, 6 00186 <BR>Phone# 06 6880 6865 or Fax 06 687 6003 <BR>This is a small, reasonably priced hotel right near Campo di Fiori so it is in a great location. <BR> <BR>Hotel Paris <BR>Via Firenze 57 00184 <BR>Phone # 06 4782 3424 Fax 06 474 2218 <BR>email [email protected] <BR>This is a medium priced three star hotel in a central area and close to transport of buses and metro to all the main sites as well as to shopping. <BR> <BR>Residenza San Pantaleo is a great place to stay. Perfect location, clean and a good price (about £200,000lire) and nice people running it. Just a 5 minute walk from Campo di Fiori (right by our office) <BR>www.residenzasanpantaleo.com <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:40 AM
dan woodlief

I just completed reservations in Rome, Venice, and Florence this week for a trip in mid October. It is not too late at all, but many places are booked. I usually had to call 2-3 to get a room. I used e-mail for several and almost always had a response within a day, booked or not. For others, I used the telephone (I made all the reservations by phone). For the hotels in your price range, I would recommend taking a look at Rick Steves, Frommers, and Cheap Sleeps. Also look in the archives here to see what others say about the place and location. I reserved a room at a place listed in Frommers and Rick Steves(with shower) in Florence for less than $65 per night (Hotel Pensione Elite or Hotel Elite). I got a place in Rome, between Piazza Verona and Campo dei Fiori for $110 (with bath - Hotel Primavera) - saw it here and in Cheap Sleeps. I got a place in Venice, on a small canal, a hundred yards or less off the Grand Canal and two blocks from Piazza San Marco for about $75 a night (shower and bath shared - Albergo Doni - saw it in several publications). Good luck.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:57 AM
Gerry

Best website for finding hotels in Italy is Venere.com. They often have links directly to the hotels were you can get more info and contact them directly.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:19 AM
Barb

I suggest getting reservations for Venice as soon as you can. I will be there 9/27-10/1. I tried nearly every hotel in Venice and they were all booked. Finally got into Hotel Guerrato, but a room with bathroom down the hall. I'm not sure if there is a convention at that time or what. It made me nervous about making reservations for the rest of my trip. What about reservations for Cinque Terre Oct.12-15? Any opinions?

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 10:46 AM
RJD

Wife and I will be in Venice the same time period. Send me an email if you want to have dinner and share stories.